Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck's world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area's biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck's powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you'll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
Merck is currently seeking a proven computational chemist/cheminformatician with a strong track record of applying computation and informatics in drug discovery to lead and mentor the Modeling and Informatics group at our South San Francisco, CA site. The successful candidate will be responsible for building and guiding the South San Francisco Modeling and Informatics group, managing its scientific portfolio and people development, as well as impacting global Modeling and Informatics strategy.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Managing direct reports including performance management, objective setting, and developing and implementing meaningful development plans for all employees
- Managing a scientific portfolio to ensure effective collaboration on discovery teams to invent novel medicines, define project strategy, and drive execution
- Active participation on the South San Francisco Chemistry Leadership Team including contributing to pipeline, project and departmental strategy and operations
- Active participation in recruitment, training and development of staff within the Modeling and Informatics group
- Shaping the global Modeling and Informatics strategy across all research sites
- Expanding the impact of chemical modeling and informatics across the network, especially outside of traditional areas
- Partnering with Information Technology (IT) to achieve shared objectives
- Maintaining an external scientific presence including authoring significant scientific publications and presentations
- Required: Ph.D. in either Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Computer Science, Informatics, Applied Mathematics, or equivalent, preferably with a Computational Chemistry or Chemical Informatics emphasis
- Minimum of (8) years experience in the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Strong communication skills, along with the ability to work well in multidisciplinary teams
- Evidence of creative application of computational approaches to problems of biological or chemical interest
- Proven Record of promoting the use of computational and informatics methods in Drug Discovery
- Effective Talent Recruitment and Mentorship skills
- Ability to manage / advance careers of Direct Reports
- 20% Travel
- People Manager experience
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com .
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.