Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Director of Clinical Development Procurement (CDP) leads the category responsible for management of services needed to support the activities within Global Clinical Trial Operations (GCTO) and Global Clinical Development (GCD) organizations. Functions requiring strategic procurement support include but are not limited to clinical start up services, functional staffing, central laboratories, specialty services (i.e. ECG, IVRS, Imaging), patient recruitment and biometrics ( i.e data management, statistical services, programming).
In supporting these organizations, the goal is to deliver shareholder value through execution of quality, timely and cost-effective external services and resources; build and maintain a team of internal procurement experts; lead projects, working groups, and initiatives to ensure Clinical Development Procurement is prepared to successfully respond to the changing needs & requirements of its internal and external business partners (scientific, legal, operational, regulatory & financial) .
The Director will take an active leadership role in the development of procurement strategy, global category management, contract management, risk management, stakeholder management, and supplier value management within assigned categories. The incumbent will develop and maintain strong relationships with key leaders in the Merck Research Laboratories (MRL), specifically in the GCTO organization and its sub-functions and will serve as a member of the Clinical Development Procurement Extended Leadership Team.
With transformational change occurring in this space, the role of the Director, Clinical Development Procurement will work in close partnership with the business to identify evolving needs to jointly determine high quality sourcing solutions to deliver significant business value. Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in science
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in Drug Development in the Pharmaceutical Industry with a consistent history of delivery in roles such as, but not limited to, clinical research, financial planning, procurement and/or supply chain management.
- Significant experience in managing sponsor/supplier interactions in roles such as, but not limited to, business development, project management, contract management, or relationship management.
- Line Management experience of internal associates, and management of individuals externally to deliver clinical development pipeline associated activities.
- Detailed understanding of the clinical development and the management of clinical trials processes. Superior analytical skills in evaluating complex clinical trial budgets and business requirements, supplier bids and internal benchmarking data
- Sourcing Management Process: Demonstrated expertise in executing the sourcing management process across highly complex projects, ability to complete projects on time and within budget.
- Global experience
- Excellent and proven business partnering skills:
- Business Expertise: Understanding strategic drivers and issues for organization get buy in at the right level and align visions and priorities.
- Consulting: Understanding how to use the right mix of tools, listening communicating, influencing to create a trusted advisor presence
- Active Listening: Ensure effective communication technique that requires the listener to feedback what they hear from the speaker, actively weave agendas together and engage others.
- Coaching: Uncovering people's concerns and fears, reframing action based on a future commitment.
- Facilitating: Working with groups and teams to design and manage interventions that are future-focused and action driven and creating environments of innovation, collaboration and alignment.
- Excellent and proven negotiation skills.
- Excellent understanding of contracts (including legal understanding of terms and conditions).
- Excellent knowledge of external service provider landscape including BPOs, CROs, central laboratories, specialty services, new technologies and related category strategies.
- Good financial understanding (understanding of cost drivers as it relates to the day to day execution of a large clinical operations organization with a diverse portfolio of products and support needs) as it relates to contracts and cost reductions.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills. Ability to utilize technologies to their maximum
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills executed with urgency
- Ability to think strategically and to visualize potential future scenarios based on business needs
- Demonstrated willingness to make decisions and to take responsibility for such
- Ability to address issues assertively while maintaining a non-threatening posture
- Excellent interpersonal skills (team player, projecting a positive attitude)
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement