Overview of the Position
The Hartford Financial Services Group is seeking an energetic and passionate leader to take on the role of Director of Data Science. The Director will lead predictive modeling for one of our Commercial Lines data science teams supporting a variety of lines and products with a focus on Commercial Auto and Class Plan Development.
The Director of Data Science will set focus on ensuring that the tactical implementation of solutions aligns with the strategic plan set by the leadership team. In this role you will support the long term plan to evolve the department's capabilities to further develop and deliver impactful products to drive pricing and underwriting outcomes for both the business and the clients.
The Director of Data Science will guide a team in exploring both internal and external data assets, developing analytic and predictive modeling solutions that feature experimental design, as well as a modeling techniques and abilities. Included in Data Scientist toolbox would be predictive Modeling Techniques, Machine Learning, Cognitive Computing, Unsupervised learning, and Augmented intelligence. The candidate will support and explore those assets overtime through customer adoption and establishing a rhythm within the data science community. Responsibilities:
Qualifications: Experience & Skills
- Apply economic, quantitative, and statistical skills in the development of models to drive profitable growth, fight fraud, and make sound business decisions
- Perform data mining and transforms raw data into actionable business information
- Determine, implement and communicate best approaches for measurement
- Remain current on research techniques and state of the art tools appropriate to your function
- Present complex data insights to decision-makers that maximizes knowledge transfer and bottom-line impact of modeling results
- Identify long term opportunities within the customer journey through the creation of algorithms and machine learning techniques to achieve financial objectives and solve problems.
- Consult on innovative risk strategies using proprietary systems/data sources to achieve extensive business goals and objectives
- Work with teams to implement protocols for the efficient capture/maintenance of data from numerous sources to maintain high data quality standards
- Accountable for long term ownership and evolution of models developed
- Review work with leadership and partners on an ongoing basis to calibrate deliverables against expectations
- Oversee and develop or mentor a highly productive team of Data Scientists and actively participate in the talent management process for hiring, onboarding, training and development of staff
- Master's or Ph.D. in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Quantitative Economics or other similar analytical field. ACAS/FCAS or relevant actuarial experience preferred.
- 5-8 years of relevant experience in Research Function in Insurance or Financial Services or related field.
- 2 years directing a team, setting priorities and plans to meet business goals and objectives.
- Experience managing technical personnel in project based environment.
- Experience with Commercial or Personal Auto lines a plus.
- Expert subject matter expertise in data exploration and modeling
- Strong strategic thinking and exceptional analytical capability
- Strong verbal/written communication skills; Must be able to communicate effectively at all levels across the organization
- Requires sophisticated business acumen in order to successfully translate complex technical topics into business solutions and strategies.
- Demonstrated track record of executing change to core business processes through the innovative use of quantitative techniques.
- Demonstrated project management experience
Behaviors at the Hartford
- Advanced negotiating, influencing, and conflict resolution skills at all organizational levels
- Drive and commitment to what is necessary to get the job done efficiently, thoroughly, and professionally.
- Innovative. Seeks new and creative ways to approach analytical exercises and development projects.
- Results-oriented. Demonstrates a sense of urgency and accountability for business issues.
- Customer focused. Builds effective relationships with internal partners, including claims, actuarial, underwriting, operations, and information technology
- Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers
- Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford
- Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others
- Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age ** NO AGENCIES PLEASE **
A little about us:
HIRING VETERANS IS A PRIORITY FOR THE HARTFORD