Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Director, Early Target Discover - BacTRAP - Target Identification
in our San Diego
Directs the bacTRAP Group in the identification of targets for therapeutic area prioritized diseases and in the generation of early target validation data including demonstration of human disease relevance of targets. Leads the group's work in collaboration with drug discovery units (DDUs) for full target validation leading to the initiation of drug discovery campaigns. Guides the group's demonstration of mechanisms of action in support of existing targets and new target selection and the identification of new disease biomarkers. Maintains alignment of the group's efforts with the current needs and future vision of Takeda's therapeutic areas and drug discovery units. Insures that the technology the group utilizes in house and externally is the most effective for achieving the group's mission. Insures the effective use of bioinformatics to identify gene expression patterns, critical pathways and gain new biological insight into human disease ACCOUNTABILITIES:
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Establishes a self-sustaining pipeline of projects that progress from experiments designed to identify targets for therapeutic areas aligned with DDU areas of interest, to the generation of early target validation data and culminating in target validation by DDUs and initiation of new drug discovery campaigns.
- Directs the group's efforts and resources to effectively deploy internal and external resources to best meet the current needs and future vision of Takeda's therapeutic areas and drug discovery units.
- Insures that the group identifies, develops and utilizes new technologies most appropriate and effective for achieving its mission in a manner that is results oriented and is agnostic to whether the work is performed internally or externally.
- Leverages external technology and partners through collaborative efforts to achieve the most effective and technically current operation of the group.
- Leads, coaches, and provides strategic vision, resource allocation, and inspirational leadership to the group.
- Builds enabling scientific relationships within and external to Takeda.
- Leads departmental goal-setting, budget administration, and other administrative functions.
- Ph.D. in Life Science with 10+ relevant years of experience OR
- BS/BA with 12+ relevant years and 7+ years supervisory experience
Knowledge and Skills:
- Highly knowledgeable in genomics and transcriptomics, bioinformatics, target validation and preclinical proof of concept studies.
- Broad knowledge across target types and disease areas, preferably with a depth of knowledge in one or more of Takeda's therapeutic areas (GI, CNS and Oncology).
- Well informed in all areas of drug discovery from target identification through preclinical research.
- Track record of accomplishment in research as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications and/or inventions.
- Track record of leading external collaborations.
- Demonstrated ability to organize the activities of a team of scientists including managing relationships with academic collaborators and CROs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including preparation and organization of data for efficient presentation to any internal or external senior audience or partner.
- People management experience.
- Therapeutic area expertise is desirable in at least one of GI and CNS
- Ability to predict issues and solve problems by independent resolution
- Ability to articulate and establish processes that have cross-functional impact
- Ability to drive decision-making within a cross-functional team structure
- Ability to inspire and motivate team
- Ability to work in a highly complex, multi-cultural, often stressful environment
- Highly effective communications skills - written and verbal
- Management of multiple tasks of varied complexity simultaneously
- Excellent organizational skills
- Highly effective presentation skills - create and deliver presentations with appropriate messaging and focused recommendations
- Microsoft Project Professional, SharePoint, Excel, PowerPoint & Word
- Fluent in English
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- May travel to the US and Japan offices and other meeting locations internationally.
- Approximately 10% travel is required.
Empowering Our People to Shine Learn more at takedajobs.com . Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
A little about us:
Takeda fosters an inclusive environment where all employees are empowered to shine.