Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world.
Why Work with Us
Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community, and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and One of the Most Meaningful Companies to Work for in America by Business Insider.
The Director, Environmental Compliance develops, implements, maintains and directs programs related to environmental compliance. The Director also provides oversight and support to the field level engineering and operations positions to assist in the design, permitting, construction and operation of Company facilities. The Director, Environmental Compliance communicates regularly with executive management in various departments within the corporate office including Operations Support, Legal, Sales, Pricing and Finance regarding metrics measurement, trend analysis, and action plan execution.
**Knowledge, Skills & Abilities**
• Directs compliance program activities including planning, organizing, directing and reporting environmental and operational issues.
• Drives the development of compliance strategies to meet regulatory requirements, including implementing and maintaining a company compliance tracking system.
• Assesses the environmental risk of activities and advises management of potential environmental impacts.
• Interprets data, scorecard metrics and observations to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and industry guidelines and advises management and operations accordingly.
• Evaluates current and proposed laws, regulations and guidelines to determine the impact on current and future operations and projects.
• Drives notice of violation, root cause analysis, reporting and action plan implementation.
• Deals directly with regulatory agencies regarding permitting and operational compliance issues and attends hearings and meetings, as necessary. Reviews submittals to regulatory agencies.
• Acts as a primary point of contact for technical compliance issues and/or compliance related questions for the Company.
• Provides interface between Corporate Engineering and the operating business units/management, and field environmental staff.
• Reviews compliance aspects, regulatory compliance and environmental due diligence of targeted acquisitions.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Science, Engineering, Geology, or related science.
• Licensure or certification as a Professional Engineer, Professional Geologist, or Certified Hazardous Materials Manager.
• Minimum of 8 years of related environmental work experience, including experience in solid waste management and environmental engineering including permitting, monitoring and remediation. (Required).
• Experience with landfill operations including odor, leachate and surface water management. (Required).
• Experience with transfer station design, regulations and operations
• Detailed knowledge of federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents.
• Effective interpersonal communication, both written and verbal, across various levels of the organization, with representatives of government agencies and consultants/vendors.
• Ability to effectively present information to top management, associates and/or regulatory agencies.
• Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Strong motivational, coaching and teaching skills.
• Ability to understand business implications of decisions and can align work with strategic goals.
• Demonstrated decision making skills; displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits strong and accurate judgment, supports and explains reasoning for decisions, includes appropriate people in decision-making process and makes timely decisions.
**Rewarding Compensation and Benefits**
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
A little about us:
The dramatic growth and high performance of Republic Services is an American success story we’re proud of.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Network.