Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck's world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics . Located within the heart of the Bay area's biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck's powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you'll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
The Director, Experimental Medicine at Merck Research Laboratories-South San Francisco is specifically responsible for the following:
- Bringing general scientific and medical insight to research environment
- Creation of new projects for discovery research through study of patients and elite responders/controllers in Phase 0 settings
- Creation of new projects by partnering with discovery research teams (bringing clinical and general development insight)
- Clinical validation of biomarkers for novel therapeutic pathways by collaborating with cross-functional teams to provide line-of-sight through clinical Proof-of-Concept
- Executing clinical studies (Phase 1-2a) that provide key data that aid in decisions to progress or stop programs
Success depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, creativity, skill, diversity and teamwork focus of the candidate. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. The individual will collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues across R&D.
Additional responsibilities will include the following:
- Key member of early discovery teams, providing clinical and general development insight
- Key contributor to the culture of the South San Francisco culture
- Will aid in the hiring and development of talent across all disciplines, and taking collective ownership of the success of the site
- Design and execution of clinical studies to demonstrate biological activity in humans and validate established and novel biomarkers (if needed)
- Close collaboration with clinical study support staff and scientists (including biostatistics, drug metabolism, modeling and simulation, regulatory affairs) to achieve safe and timely execution of clinical studies
- Clear and timely communication and interpretation of study results to site and therapeutic area governance, functional area experts and development review committees
- Engagement with external academic and industry partners in planning and executing strategy and clinical studies
- Design and run early clinical trials (Phase 0 to 2a)
- Engagement with external scientific and medical experts at universities to bring insight to existing programs, and create new ones
- Engagement with the Bay Area biotech and pharmaceutical culture, finding and promoting partnerships as deemed valuable
- Required: MD or MD/PhD
- Preferred: Board Certification or Eligibility
- Minimum of (3) years' experience in the Biopharmaceutical Industry
- Direct experience designing and conducting Phase 0-2a clinical trials, including biomarker validation and development
- Demonstrated record of scientific scholarship and achievement in such as (publications, presentations at scientific meetings) basic, translational and/or clinical research and/or early drug development
- Strong interpersonal, writing and presentation skills, as well as the ability to function in a team environment
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement