The Director, Ophthalmics Field Reimbursement Manager (FRM) Team leads the FRM Team (which includes first line managers and their field based personnel) that helps to minimize reimbursement barriers for patients and providers and, therefore, helps to optimize access to OBU products in an assigned geography. The Director, FRM Team works closely with internal partners in educating accounts regarding the reimbursement and access landscape and problem solving patient access challenges. They also develop ethical and solutions-oriented reimbursement programs and tactics, and proactively communicate payer information, including status, processes and practices.
- Works with internal partners to review franchise, managed care, and field business plans and objectives
- Develops long-term & short-term strategic account plans focusing on patient access to OBU therapies
- Develops and shares local market insights with colleagues to better understand barriers impacting access to OBU therapies
- Acts as a subject matter expert on the payer landscape relevant to the OBU
- Acts as a conduit between the Field and Home Office OBU functions for all public and private payer policies and practices that impact patient access
- Problem solves with respect to patient access challenges
- Leads the FRM team through key account partnerships which includes educating on OBU therapies payer coverage, prior authorization requirements, and medical necessity requirements
- Develops ethical and solutions-oriented reimbursement programs and tactics
- Trouble-shoots field account reimbursement issues, needs, concerns, or challenges
- Partners with third party OBU vendors
- Leverages available resources, including market access and demographic data to develop and execute account plans/call purpose.
- Proactively communicates and explains OBU/Shire-specific reimbursement programs, policies, procedures and resources
- Works with relevant state, institutional or other societies regarding reimbursement topics
- Complies with all laws, regulations and policies that govern the conduct of Shire activities
- Business travel, by air or car, is regularly required
- Responsible for meeting and exceeding the corporate OBU objectives.This includes, but is not limited to successful development of personnel, along with selecting the best talent for open positions. Create an atmosphere of bottom up decision making.
- Hire, train, and effectively lead a field reimbursement team to meet and exceed OBU reimbursement objectives
- Effectively assesses the development needs of the OBU FRM department and initiates activity that will further develop the staff
Education and Requirements
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university
- Minimum 5 years management experience
- Minimum 5 years reimbursement experience in the medical/pharmaceutical industry
- Minimum 2 years corporate office exper ience
- Must demonstrate excellent working knowledge of reimbursement and the practice management environment
- Experience leading field teams required
- Eye care/Ophthalmology experience strongly preferred
- Strategic agility - Links responsibilities with the mission of the organization.
- Business Acumen (strategic thinking/planning, analyzing/diagnosing, external perspective, accelerating change)
- Supporting Regulatory Environment
- Coaching & Developing Future Talent (identifying and developing talent, providing feedback)
- Communicating with Impact (influencing, listening and receptivity, candid and direct communication)
- Working Effectively with Others (builds rapport, collaboration and teamwork, org savvy, energizing and engaging
- Moderate travel required.
- Must work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Work is from home.No office is provided by company.
A little about us:
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.