Plant FacilitiesJob Description
This position will lead and manage the Amgen Thousand Oaks Facilities organization within Global Facilities Operations (GFO) and will report directly to the Executive Director for Global Facilities.
Amgen Thousand Oaks site (ATO) is the headquarters for Amgen and consists of a multi-purpose campus (~5.5 Million sq ft) with a wide range of buildings and infrastructure used for R&D, Manufacturing as well as administrative activities.
The position is responsible for providing various levels of Facilities, Laboratories and Engineering support services to the ATO site by leading a team of Amgen professionals and overseeing partnerships with strategic Integrated Service Providers (ISP).
Responsibilities include maintenance support for core, shell and equipment in commercial, R&D laboratory buildings as well as utility plants, both in GMP and non-GMP environment. Responsibilities also include laboratory equipment maintenance, and other lab support services.
Other responsibilities include managing within the allocated budget the delivery and quality of soft services (cafeteria, janitorial, landscaping, etc.) provided by Integrated Service Providers as well as providing oversight for engineering construction projects for labs and office buildings. This position is responsible to partner with ISPs to deliver reliable facilities and lab support services to several functions within Amgen including R&D, Operations, and some Commercial functions. Other responsibilities include, ensuring ISP contractors' compliance with EH&S, sustainability and regulatory requirements while performing work at Amgen sites. Enabling and advancing Operational Excellence, Purposeful Presence, Business Continuity and Crisis Management are also core expectations of the position.
Advance ISP partnerships and service delivery within Amgen:
- Partner on opportunity analyses across the network and ensure successful implementation of fit for purpose facility and lab services and solutions
- Strategically define requirements and implement solutions to improve service levels and efficiency
- Ensure the ISPs deliver on the scope of work for and monitor Key Performance Indicators (KPI's) and Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Act as the approver for work performed by the Integrated Service Provider
- Act as the point of escalation for Amgen & Integrated Service Providers at a site level
- Translate client needs and initiatives into Global Facilities Operations and/or Engineering objectives, programs and projects
- Actively participate in key business unit planning and operations meetings
- Actively manage the Region's budget and headcount to meet or exceed plan
- Prioritize effectively to ensure resources are working on the highest priority projects and work
- Be a visible and active leader in Engineering's safety program, including purposeful presence and putting safety first in all staff interactions
- Be a visible and active leader in Operational Excellence; Drive Operational Excellence efforts throughout GFO and GFO clients
- Drive sustainability projects across GFO sites
- Provide key leadership in the disaster response and recovery for GFO sites
- Ensure excellent client service across all of our client sites for Facilities Management, Engineering, Technical services, Supplier Management and Governance, Risk Management and Business Continuity
Doctorate degree and 4 years of Engineering experience
Master's degree and 8 years of Engineering experience
Bachelor's degree and 10 years of Engineering experience
4 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, and programsPreferred Qualifications:
Join Us If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
- Advanced Degree in Engineering, Science and/or Business (MBA)
- 15+ years' experience in Facilities and Engineering to include broad operations experience, roles in maintenance, automation, equipment reliability, utility operations, instrumentation and/or systems engineering
- 7+ years' management experience in a lead role of a facilities or engineering function
- Experience interfacing with government and community leaders, including regulators, elected officials, contractors and community groups
- Experience at a headquarters facility
- 2+ years' experience managing a large, multi-layered organization or matrixed organization
- Strong leadership, sound judgment and decision making skills, proven team development, strong communication skills, and proactive in leading and driving process improvement across large cross functional teams and presenting to senior management
- Ability to interface effectively with executive management, obtain their commitment and buy-in
- Strong capability to lead change in a fast moving environment
- Strong analytical skills, problem solving ability and coordination of complex projects
- Strong relationship and networking skills; able to develop and be trusted advisor with a site head, business unit VP, and/or executive
- Ability to partner with and manage service providers. A change agent that can build cross-functional support across a large network
- Proven business acumen, financial planning/budgeting, and demonstrated understanding of client's business
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Amgen values the leadership, skills and passion for serving that veterans exemplify and our constant commitment to hiring the best starts here.