Are you an inspirational drug discovery leader with a background in the utilization of Structural Biology and Biophysics to enable drug discovery programs and looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as Director, Head of Structural Biology and Biophysics Group in our San Diego office. OBJECTIVES:
The Director, Head of Structural Biology and Biophysics, based in San Diego, leads Takeda’s global Structural Biology and Biophysics group which supports the company’s internal and external drug discovery research activities across all therapeutic areas. This individual is responsible for identifying opportunities for the group to employ its capabilities in the areas of Protein Chemistry, Crystallography and Biophysics to accelerate advancement of small molecule and biologics discovery programs in alignment with Takeda Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) priorities. This incumbent supervises the group’s execution of those opportunities to maximize the impactfulness of the group’s research contributions to Takeda’s drug discovery efforts. S/he cultivates a group culture that is proactive, collaborative, innovative and external facing while developing world class individual talent. S/he also insures that the group is employing the most current, effective and applicable technologies, whether internally or externally, to advance Takeda’s drug discovery programs through structural biology and biophysical techniques. ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Qualifications: EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Leads the group’s efforts to identify project opportunities across all of Takeda research to maximize the impact of the group’s capabilities in the areas of Protein Chemistry, Crystallography and Biophysics to accelerate advancement of Takeda discovery programs in alignment with Takeda Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) priorities.
- Actively and regularly prioritizes and aligns efforts of the group and utilization of group resources with DDU priorities so as to maximize the timely impactfulness of the group’s research contributions to Takeda’s pipeline.
- Proactively builds external relationships and collaborations that supplement the group’s internal capabilities so that the group is best capable to advance Takeda’s drug discovery programs through structural biology and biophysical techniques, whether internally or externally.
- Leads the identification, evaluation and utilization of new and emerging technologies to keep the group’s access and utilization of the most impactful technologies current, including state-of-art high throughput construct design, protein production, purification and crystallization, crystallography and biophysics.
- Oversees effective and productive execution of Takeda structural biology and biophysics collaborations, consortiums, and other external relationships.
- Works effectively with Takeda research managers in other functional areas to insure the group is an effective partner with those other functional areas.
- Cultivates a group culture that is proactive, collaborative, innovative and external facing
- Mentors and develops world class individual talent capable of taking on leadership roles in group.
- Responsible for setting and overseeing group goal-setting, budget administration, and other administrative functions.
- Ph.D. with thesis, publication(s), postdoctoral experience and minimum 10 years of industry experience in Structural Biology, Biophysics and 5+ years of supervisory experience including experience leading Ph.D. level scientists. Would also strongly consider candidate with Medicinal Chemistry background with significant experience applying structural biology and biophysics data to advance drug discovery programs.
- Effective leader, manager and mentor that can build and motivate a high functioning team of scientists as well as evangelizing team’s capabilities within the organization to cultivate its impactful involvement in drug discovery.
- Proven track record of applying protein chemistry, structural biology and biophysics in the areas of fragment based and structure based drug discovery and/or antibody drug discovery. Strong familiarity with SPR, NMR, MS,cryEM, and other biophysics techniques and familiarity with application of these techniques to soluble and membrane protein targets. .
- Strong operating knowledge of pharmaceutical drug discovery, capable of not only contributing to protein chemistry, structural biology and biophysics research efforts, but more broadly to pharmaceutical drug discovery projects.
- Experience effectively managing external collaborations and service providers and able to bring pragmatic business minded approach to balancing utilization of internal and external capabilities
- Professionally represents the group and company more broadly in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences with the ability to convey ideas in an experimentally detailed yet scientifically concise and effective manner.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions in life science as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications/presentations/inventions and/or products and clinical candidates.
- Positive can-do attitude with strong collaboration skills and ability to team effectively with drug discovery scientists.
- Highly motivated and flexible with ability to work in fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Possesses a high degree of scientific discretion/intuition and integrity
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals
- Working in cold room (4°C)
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- May travel to various domestic conferences or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required
- Requires approximately 10-15% travel
Empowering Our People to Shine Learn more at takedajobs.com . Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs