Director, Health Information Management (HIM) for Lewis-Gale Alleghany
Company: Hospital Corporation of America
Location: Low Moor, Virginia
Posted: December 07, 2017
Reference ID: 25771-142477
Parallon is seeking a Director, Health Information Management to join our team at LewisGale Hospital Alleghany.
Job Summary -Under the direction of the Regional HIM Director, the HIM "Leader" is responsible for managing, coordinating, and performing the day-to-day operations and workflow of the facility based HIM operations. Assists the Regional HIM Director with the oversight and implementation of facility related HIM Service Center (HSC) operational planning, service level agreements, budgets, workflow processes, and internal controls. The HIM Leader actively participates in the facility
based unbilled management process and resolution of issues contributing to unbilled accounts. This person serves as a promoter of the HSC and is the on-site "face" of the HSC.
Implementation Duties Include But Are Not Limited To:
• Assists with the Horizon Patient Folder (HPF) and HIM Shared Services pre- migration/implementation activities leading up to HSC start-up, including but not limited to: FTE baselining and management, forms management, interface workbook, operational assessment, action planning, productivity monitoring, release of information management, record storage and destruction management, staff education, and HIM operations clean up
• Participates in communication efforts with HIM personnel, facility departments, facility department and unit leadership, facility leadership, and medical staff, including serving as a key HIM contact for facility implementation activities and project core team meetings
Operational Duties Include But Are Not Limited To:
• Responsible for managing facility based HIM operations and staff including, but not limited to, record pick up and reconciliation, release of information request processing, hardcopy retrieval of medical records, tumor and/or trauma registry, and processing of birth certificate/paternity papers as applicable
• Routinely assists in the performance of facility based HIM operations including, but not limited to, ad hoc record pick up and reconciliation, release of information request processing, and hardcopy retrieval of medical records as needed
• Performs facility unbilled activities including physician query follow up, physician incomplete record follow up, collaboration with facility department leaders in monitoring and working unbilled reports, working the applicable HPF queues, working the applicable unbilled management reports and queues, (e.g., DET/eRequest, Bill 49) and management of HIM operations unbilled processes
• Works all facility HIM responsible HPF workflow queues (includes, but is not limited to, the Facility HIM Department Queue, all Coding Pend for Queues, Review Queues, Unknown Document Queue, Cancelled Accounts Queue and all Wait for Queues) according to established workflow guidelines and schedules
• Works collaboratively with Medical Staff and Facility Leadership to comply with standards and guidelines enforced through the Medical Staff Bylaws/Rules and Regulations (e.g., suspension of privileges) and is responsible for facilitation and execution of physician notification processes regarding medical record documentation deficiency, delinquency, and physician suspension
• Provides HPF record completion and medical record viewing training and education to medical staff members
• Provides medical record viewing training and education to other clinical and ancillary personnel
• Primary facility contact for external agencies requiring on-site viewing of medical records
• Proactively manages, including corresponding communications and escalation paths, significant issues in HIM operations (e.g., backlogs, turnover), status of projects, barriers and successes
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationship with ancillary departments and unit managers to ensure optimal record management including thinned record processes, quick record prep and loose reports, record pick up and discharge record reconciliation
• In conjunction with, and under the leadership of, the Regional HIM Director, serves as a liaison between the HSC and Facility Leadership, including the Medical Staff Leadership, building and maintaining strategic working relationships with the facility and department leadership (working through specific issues, committee meetings, monthly updates, etc.)
• Active participant, at times with the assistance of the Regional HIM Director, in preparing for or assisting with external agency (e.g., The Joint Commission, Board of Health) reviews of the facility
• May serve as the Facility Privacy Official, Records Management Coordinator, and/or perform state reporting duties
• May serve, or serve in conjunction with the Regional HIM Director, on facility committees
• May serve, or serve in conjunction with the Regional HIM Director, as the Medical Record Custodian including making court appearances as applicable
• Coaches and helps develop team members; disciplines and counsels staff as necessary
• Performs productivity and quality monitoring and provides timely and consistent feedback to facility-based HSC employees
• Responsible for ensuring facility-based HSC staff schedules adequately support operational requirements established by the HSC Leadership team and executed Service Level Agreements (SLA)
• Monitors facility HIM operations performance as outlined in HSC policy and SLA
• Provides assistance to the HSC Document Imaging Manager as it relates to facility housed HSC document imaging staff
• Assists the Regional HIM Director in the development of strategy, specific goals, objectives, budgets, and performance standards relative to the facility HIM operations
• Assists in identifying and implementing process improvements to lower costs and improve service to facility and SSC customers
• Coordinates training and education of facility based HSC staff
• Responsible for implementation of standardized policies and procedures, tools, resources, and educational materials
• Practices and adheres to the Company's "Code of Conduct" philosophy and' "Mission and Value Statement"
• Other duties as assigned
Education - Bachelor's Degree in Business or related field required. If a desired applicant does not have a Bachelor's Degree the requirement can be waved IF they are currently in a Bachelor's Degree program.
Experience - Minimum of 5 years healthcare management experience with three years in the related field for the position. Relevant education may substitute experience requirement with SSC Executive approval.