This position requires the completion of Nationwide's LEADERSHIP MATTERS Certification. This required training for new leaders, will take place over the course of the first year in the role.
***This Asset Aligned Program Manager will lead the management and delivery of Nationwide's Legal and HR BSA. Visibility of this BSA will include senior management, and may include the Office of the Chief Executive Officer (OCEO) and the Nationwide Board of Directors. Role accountabilities of the Legal and HR Asset Aligned Program Manager include:
1. Defines and plans programs and/or projects: Builds detailed roadmaps, estimates, resource plans and requests for proposals (RFPs), if required. Proactively provides Executive Overviews to give visibility into potential stakeholder impact. Kicks off the program, orients the team and establishes continuous onboarding practices as new members become involved. Structures the program to run effectively and efficiently by setting direction for management and execution.
2. Executes programs and/or projects: Executes all programs/projects as defined in the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK). Proactively provides impacted stakeholders with visibility into scope, schedule and cost. Manages program and project dependencies. Partners with the Release Manager and Application Development Leader (ADL) on portfolio, program and release execution. Ensures the communication plan is maintained and followed, including Program Portfolio Management (PPM) processes.
3. Closes programs and/or projects and assures smooth transition, where necessary: Transitions accountability for benefits realization. Transitions financials and invoicing to the Run team and transfers remaining Run functions to the appropriate Application Portfolio Teams. Closes the program with Finance, Business Management Areas (BSAs) and Infrastructure and Operations (I&O). Transitions program/project staff and captures and transitions program/project feedback and lessons learned. Acquires stakeholder sign-off.
5. Provides governance and strategic leadership within the project management discipline: Introduces new project management competency, training, and capability practices for program/project teams. Drives quality and efficiency through mature services and processes-measures and improves service value for the organizations they support.
The ideal HR and Legal Asset Aligned Program Manager starts the job with certain experiences. The bulleted list below outlines experiences common to all individuals in this role:
• Eight or more years of solid IT program/project management experience
• Proven track record of delivering large scale complex program/projects
• Proven ability to effectively manage and lead teams in a service environment, raise the
capability level of a team, find and effectively challenge talent
• Proven experience managing a program/project staff of ten or more individuals, with a
focus on building high-performing teams
• Demonstrated understanding of work plans, risk, issue, change logs, status reports and
JOB SUMMARY: Manages project managers through direct reporting relationships in all aspects of the delivery of large program/portfolio of IT Projects. Leads the delivery of the program/portfolio from the original concept through the final implementation as well as ensures that the projects are aligned with Nationwide IT standards, solution delivery life cycle and business objectives/strategies.RELATIONSHIP: Officer/Vice PresidentJOB RESPONSIBILITIES1. Consults with senior management in the development of the scope/vision for the program/portfolio. Obtains funding and other necessary resources to initiate the program/portfolio.2. Manages the program/portfolio plan (scope, schedule, budget, communication). Takes action to avoid or correct deviations from plan.3. Manages project managers in all phases of Solution Delivery including processes/tools (charters, control plans, communication plans, scope...) necessary to successfully deliver the projects within the program/portfolio. Directs project managers' actions to avoid or correct deviations from plans. Utilizes expertise and leadership skills to direct staff and to resolve issues to ensure program/portfolio goals and initiatives are met.4. Validates project plans (schedule, budget, communication...) for projects within the program/portfolio. Monitors performance to plans. Communicates project progress and status. Approves all proposed project plans and ensures alignment with standards and IT strategy.5. Identifies and assess inter-project/program synergies and dependencies (financial and duration). Takes action to maximize synergies and limit impact and risk of dependencies.6. Leads in developing new project opportunities within the program/portfolio, producing high-level scope, deliverables, cost estimates and return on investment analysis.7. Oversees projects within the program/portfolio to ensure compliance with the IT Solutions Delivery processes and tools as well as alignment with the Nationwide Solution Delivery Framework. Implements best practices within the organization, including Solution Delivery.8. Mentors and develops existing project managers. Identifies and develops aspiring project managers.9. Develops, administers and controls program/portfolio budget. Oversees individual project budgets. Accountable for program/portfolio risk mitigation.10. Establishes PMP objectives and measurement criteria for all direct reports. Conducts salary administration.11. Consults and coaches senior leadership and team members throughout the business units on Solution Delivery lifecycle (SDLC) practices and procedures.12. Manages the hiring, supervising, training and promotion of candidates.13. Performs other duties as assigned.JOB REQUIREMENTS:Education: Undergraduate studies in business, management information systems, computer science or related field. BA or equivalent is strongly preferred. Project Management Certification is highly preferred.Experience: Ten years of work experience in the information technology field. Five years of managerial and project leadership experience including facilitation, negotiation, delegation, mentoring, etc. is highly preferred.Knowledge: Must have expert knowledge of project management and systems development lifecycle processes, tools, concepts and methodologies. Must have extensive knowledge of insurance and financial services industry, operations, customers and business. Must have a thorough understanding of Nationwide's strategic vision, direction and values. Must have proven knowledge of people management/leadership.Skills/Competencies: Must possess key competencies of effective program/project management such as scope, definition, time management, cost analysis and allocation, human resource management, risk assessment and management, procurement, communication and integration management. Must be able to direct and/or work and manage large, complex projects. Must have strong problem-solving skills as well as decision-making skills. Must have strong people management and portfolio leadership skills. Must have strong negotiation skills to interact with senior leadership, internal & external partners, & stakeholders.Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.Staffing Exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by the: Vice President and HR OfficerJOB CONDITIONS:Overtime Eligibility: Not EligibleWorking Conditions: Normal office environment. Associates may have on-call responsibility after normal working hours and/or on weekends.ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.Credit Check: Not ApplicableSafety Sensitive (SS): Not ApplicableJob Evaluation Activity: Evaluated: MDK (12-22-03)Job Family/Function: MIS/TPJ
A little about us:
Great culture. Great people. Great opportunities. Join us today and help protect what matters most.