PayPal is looking for a data privacy lawyer to join its Global Legal Privacy team as Director of Commercial Legal Privacy.
This position will provide world-class privacy and data protection related legal advice and regulatory support as a member of the Global Legal Privacy team, reporting to PayPal's Head of Global Legal Privacy providing service to the Global Privacy Program Office and our internal clients. The role may be based at PayPal headquarters in San Jose, California, in the heart of the Silicon Valley or in New York City.
PayPal is regarded by its customers as one of the companies they trust most to protect their personal data and we work hard every day to to earn and maintain that trust. As Privacy Counsel you will support PayPal's strong commitment to privacy and data protection.
This is an exciting opportunity to leverage your privacy and data protection knowledge, expertise and passion in a collaborative, fast-paced and engaging setting that continuously strives for excellence, customer satisfaction, compliance, innovation, and industry leadership at a dynamic time in the world of privacy, the payments industry, and PayPal's history.
• Working autonomously as a leader and working collaboratively as an advisor to legal, compliance, and various other global, regional, and cross-functional teams
• Providing legal advice on global, regional, and/or local privacy and data protection requirements to Legal and Compliance Privacy personnel; advising key functional areas and regional business units on privacy requirements
• Establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with and providing subject matter expertise to internal clients
• Ensuring that colleagues, policies and practices keep up-to-date based on changes to applicable privacy and data protection legal/regulatory obligations, emerging technologies, and the growth and innovation of our businesses
• Identifying and executing on opportunities to continuously improve privacy policies and practices
• Creating and delivering effective privacy playbooks and training for legal, compliance, and other colleagues aimed at enhancing awareness of privacy and data protection policies, practices, requirements, opportunities and risks that foster colleagues' understanding of how privacy and data protection affects their job responsibilities, our customers, and business operations and strategy
• Demonstrating in-depth knowledge of cutting edge technology issues and their privacy and data protection implications with emphasis on mobile technologies and mobile payments
• Leading, coaching and mentoring colleagues and team members to enhance individual and enterprise growth and success
• Serving as a representative in privacy and data protection-related organizations Qualifications:
• Fully qualified / licensed lawyer in New York, California or another US State and admitted to practice as an in-house counsel for PayPal
• 8-10 years of experience as in-house counsel preferred, particularly in highly matrixed corporate structures
• Experience with European Data Protection laws and other applicable laws, including GDPR, required
• Experience advising clients in the financial services, mobile payments, e-commerce, internet and technology industries preferred; knowledge of data management and analytics, advertising, and/or retail industries helpful
• Direct legal experience actively advising global businesses with strong EU presence on privacy and data protection issues
• M&A experience and experience integrating new business units, preferred
• Global thinker, demonstrated collaborator
• Sound and practical legal and business judgment
• Strong critical and strategic problem-solver
• Creative and imaginative thinker - willingness to think "out-of-the-box" • Proactive leader with dynamic approach to consulting and problem solving
• Excellent communicator - both written and oral
• Highest standards of and commitment to ethics and integrity
• Ability to build relationships and trust across the organization
• Demonstrated ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team, to effectively coach and mentor others (including non-attorneys), a sense of humor and resiliency especially under tight deadlines and while managing multiple priorities
• Demonstrated use of, proficiency with, and passion for PayPal products and services
• Ambitition, curiosity and a sense of humor, desired and highly valued
• CIPP, CISSP, CISA and/or other relevant certifications, desirable
• Ability to travel - approximately 15%
A little about us:
Help us reinvent money. At PayPal, we're looking for global thinkers who can invent new ways to make money safe and accessible for people everywhere.