Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Merck Production Systems (MPS) is an integrated production system for how we design, manage, and continuously improve our operations and supporting business processes, enabled through the development of our people. The MMD (Merck Manufacturing Division) MPS Team is responsible for driving MPS throughout the organization to enable change in the operating systems, management systems, and mindsets, behaviors and capabilities of our people to produce product at the highest quality, for the lowest cost, and in the shortest lead time.
Under the direction of the Global MPS Leader, The ExM MPS Leader will lead support for the development of strategic supply partners working with External Manufacturing (ExM) leaders to shape and deploy supplier development strategies. Approximately 50% of the time will be spent developing suppliers on the floor, providing direct, hands on support of improvement activities, while 25% will be spent coaching leaders within ExM. Due to the nature of the work and diversity of sites, expected travel will be 50-75%.
ExM MPS Director Description of Duties:
- Partner with and consult functional leaders, plant managers and their leadership teams to develop plans and execute performance improvement activities.
- Influence and link improvement objectives to the highest division priorities
- Develop Lean management and people development processes and plans
- Manage end-to-end ExM processes and projects to drive results and realize intended business benefit
- Utilize various Lean and Six Sigma tools and techniques in conjunction with the House of MPS to diagnose, analyze and improve business processes
- Provide teaching and coaching to effectively transfer Lean skills into the organization for the development of Lean Leaders
ExM MPS Director Responsibilities & Capabilities:
- Demonstrates the ability to use knowledge and experience to foresee global market and economic trends, and create industry-leading strategies to take advantage of these trends.
- Proactively recognize and mitigate barriers to cross-functional initiatives and can act as an intermediary across divisional, geographical, and cultural boundaries.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement and challenging the status quo, while driving departmental/regional strategies that align with Merck's long term strategy.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively scope, assign tasks and allocate resources for meeting goals within projected budget. Demonstrate the ability to create accountability among team members to drive high quality and on-time delivery of support services.
- Mentor others on effective communication and active listening techniques to fully understand client/customer needs and expectations.
- Lead deep process analysis through value stream mapping to measure stagnation of inventory and information and can lead kaizen to increase capacity and improve process performance.
- Develop visual controls and framework to make problems visible and responds with urgency to effectively break down complex problems, lead root cause analysis, and develop effective countermeasures.
- Lead and coach kaizen with a team to achieve multiple target conditions to achieve an overall challenge.
- Able to engage sponsor and clients, lead major changes, and effectively coach senior leaders and E2E/IP Managers.
- Build trust and develop new relationships with internal and external clients to effectively collaborate and achieve successful outcomes at a regional/global.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field
- Experience in operations management, manufacturing, or related disciplines
- Hands-on training in the application of Lean/ Toyota Production System (TPS) under the guidance of a sensei/ master coach, Master Black Belt certification a plus
- Expertise and extensive experience in practical application of TPS
- Experience analyzing complex end-to-end supply chains and driving process improvement
- Hands-on application of Lean tools and techniques: standardized work, scientific problem solving, value stream mapping, mistake proofing, SMED, 5S-Visual Factory
- Experience applying consultative skills: ability to influence decision making, ability to interact with all levels of the business (senior leaders to shop floor working teams), project management skills (demonstrated experience in managing large teams), solid business acumen, proven team building skills, exceptionally good listening skills, results oriented, strong analytical skills, and prior process improvement experience
- Coaching, Teaching, and driving a High Performance Organization. Proven experience in coaching and teaching others to think, behave and apply lean methods and tools. Experience enabling and leveraging diverse perspectives, talents, etc. to achieve business outcomes
- Excellent skills using IT applications to organize and analyze date (MS-Access, MS-Excel, Minitab)
- Experience in a Solid Dosage, Vaccines or Sterile pharmaceutical environment.
- Secondary degree in supply chain or business administration
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement