Director, Network Services
The primary purpose of the Global Network & Voice Lead is to drive the global transformation of the Network services function from a People, Process and Technology perspective consistent with the Global Shared Services infrastructure strategy and roadmap as well as providing the engineering and day to day operational delivery of a world-class network and voice services that meets or exceeds internal business expectations. The Network & Voice Lead will also provide input to the broader Global Shared Services organization's strategic direction as it relates to the enhancement and operational integrity of the data and voice environment.
The scope of this role includes the responsibility and guidance for groups providing design/architecture, installation, maintenance, operation and support for the global Johnson Controls data and voice network services and infrastructure in support of our internal and external connection to 65,000+ employees in 50+ countries, 1000+ locations and 50 data centers. This includes wide area networks, local area networks, firewall technology selection and upgrade; network, router, switch and load balancer configuration and maintenance. Further, the role will evaluate current practices, architectures, and processes, challenge existing practices and serve as a subject matter expert and visionary that will bring innovative solutions to the company to drive cost reduction and service improvement. The position will require the ability to create a highly qualified team in the knowledge and application of Network & Voice methods. The expectation is the individual will develop a long-term, multi-year business plan for Network and Voice which aligns with the overall IT strategy within IT Global Shared Services (GSS) and the broader IT organization.
The Director, Network Services must understand and drive cost makeup of the network and voice environment, tracking costs of vendor services against agreed budget, along with analyzing cost and developing strategies and tactics to maximize financial benefits, maintain consolidated view of business priorities and demand requirements and ensuring integration in annual budget planning, driving cost savings opportunities through delivery efficiencies and leveraging scale without compromising service quality. Some of the responsibilities this person will be responsible for performing are below.
• Strategize: Ensures that consistent network and voice architecture, capabilities, standards and governance are introduced and applied across the company.
• Design: Provides architectural and operational support of voice and network infrastructure, taking the lead on design and installation.
• Execute: Ensures a stable and highly available computing environment by leading the development, implementation and support of the Network and Voice environment through a metrics-based performance monitoring system, oversee detailed solutions design, development, testing and deployment activities.
• Govern: Will keep abreast of regulatory/compliance changes, evolving industry practices, changing technology and solution architectures to ensure Global Shared Services frameworks remain current/relevant to business needs.
• Communicate: Will lead and communicate the activities that ensure network reliability and uninterrupted service for all users, by reducing unexpected network events, identify all network outages and minimize service volume ensuring continued communications into and throughout the enterprise.
• Must possess in depth knowledge of network capacity planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices, managing data and voice network services and infrastructure in a complex environment. In addition, the individual should have a proven track record of transforming decentralized, regional network architectures into highly available, scalable and low latency network architecture that cost effectively support our current and future growth. Expert level technical expertise in architecture, design, acquisition, installation and network troubleshooting, telecommunications and computing services and equipment is necessary. Data networks (i.e. VoIP technologies and protocols, TC/IP, UDP, RTP and routing protocols, Analyzer protocols, firewalls and proxies, Active Directory) audit procedures and integration and operations experience required. Experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense and capital budgets.
• This position will require adept and creative skills at solving complex business process and information technology challenges that cross multiple functions, and demands substantial involvement with parties at all levels in the company, while acknowledging corporate priorities.
• This position will lead a direct team of 5-8 Global and Regional Managers with at least 10 years of experience who are subject matter experts in Network and VoiP.
• The person in this role will report to VP IT - Global Shared Services, and will be expected to demonstrate a high level of autonomy to lead Network & Voice activities
• This position requires collaboration with executive management and other IT leaders in assessing customer requests and business challenges.
• This position requires exceptional collaboration, teamwork, negotiation, influence, and relationship-building skills at all levels with internal and external parties
• MBA with BS in Business, Computer Science, Information Technology or related technical field.
• 15+ years' experience leading Data Network integration and Operations. CCNA, CCNP or CCIE certifications, Wireshark Certified Network Analyst (WCNA) and/or other related technical certifications. Proven experience with LAN, WAN and WLAN design and implementation, in-depth knowledge of network, PC, and platform operating systems, including CISCO Internetwork Operating System, Juniper and Checkpoint firewall, Avaya Communications Manager and Polycom video conferencing solutions. Knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and Internet standards (i.e. OSPF, BGP, DNS, DHCP, NTP)
• This position may require domestic and/or international travel up to 30-50% of the time
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.