About the company
A career at the company offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, the company colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. the company, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
At the company, we have brought our global analytics capabilities across R&D and commercial under one powerful new organization - Global Business Analytics (GBA). By looking at the rich data across the full drug development and marketing lifecycle, this team drives insights to action for some of the most critical business questions for the company. Ranging from which assets and new business ventures to invest in, to how we can communicate most effectively with our patients and healthcare professionals, to what are the industry and competitive signals we should look at in a changing health landscape - GBA serves as the compass and decision support for the enterprise. GBA comprises multiple distinct and high performing groups, including Portfolio & Decision Analysis (PDA), Business Development Evaluation (BDE), Business Analytics & Insights (BAI), and Competitive Intelligence (CI).
As a member of the GBA Leadership Team, the DBO will share in the leadership and development for this newly formed organization. The Director of Business Operations (DBO) will provide strategic guidance and comprehensive business support to the Vice President of GBA. This will include directing activities across the GBA subgroups (PDA, BDE, BAI, and CI), as well as aligning GBA with other parts of the company on organizational issues. The DBO will represent the VP of GBA as required. The role includes independent ownership of 1) managing and delivering portfolio-level strategic projects 2) planning, coordination, and project management of select organizational initiatives 3) coordinating and drafting of major briefings/presentations (e.g., annual operating plans, global town halls) 4) providing day-to-day operational support and coordination of overall GBA business activities 5) special ad hoc projects with high level of strategic and analytical skills required.
The DBO must be a high energy, confident self-starter with exceptional emotional intelligence and excellent project management skills. The DBO will champion change management and communications (both global and local) across GBA, and will serve as a trusted advisor to the GBA senior leaders to help deliver GBA's vision and mission. Most important, the DBO must be confident, comfortable and energized by working in a fast paced, dynamic environment and be up for the challenge of working across a large, global organization.
Driving Organizational Leadership and Culture
• Work closely with VP of GBA to coordinate annual strategic and operating plan process, organizing closely with the multiple GBA subgroup Leadership Teams.
• In partnership with GBA Leadership Team, develop cohesive goals and value proposition for new GBA group, including marketing/branding materials, communications, global town halls, website, etc.
• Proactively identify GBA business challenges and opportunities; generate recommendations and advise VP of GBA to adapt / address as appropriate
• Act as a surrogate for the VP of GBA as needed in meeting with others in the organization, especially when schedules are difficult.
• Be a leader among senior leaders, and help to drive alignment and engagement across the GBA leadership team.
• Develop and promote culture initiatives to foster an environment that is characterized by leadership, innovation, ownership, functional excellence, collaboration, pride, trust and overall job satisfaction.
• Take a leadership role on the formulation and execution of transformation projects within GBA.
• Assist the GBA LT on coordination with other parts of the company on issue resolution.
Delivering Operational Excellence
• Drive day-to-day operations of the 350+ person GBA group to maximize the productivity of the team, including setting agendas and preparing / distributing minutes of LT meetings and group communications, following up on action items
• Act as a point of contact for reviewing and prioritizing materials prior to review by the VP of GBA; triage critical documents and summarize salient points
• Facilitate GBA Leadership Team operations and oversee cost centers (including managing $200M global budget process and financial updates) to ensure delivery of commitments and advancement of strategic priorities.
• From a financial performance perspective, work with GBA Leadership Team to identify opportunities for efficiencies in expenditures.
• Prepare reliable, high quality briefings, presentations, talking points, and internal communications as well as effectively convey key messages to critical constituents (regional presidents, category presidents, ELT, SPCO LT) and content providers to ensure clarity of scope and objectives.
• Coordinate logistics for GBA VP and select LT members globally to conduct business reviews.
• Anticipate, identify, understand, and support the prioritization of issues and opportunities across the group and ensure these are acted upon in a timely and effective manner.
• Manage the execution of critical meetings, events, commitments and communications; ensure input is provided, stakeholders are informed, deadlines and obligations are met, and successful outcomes are achieved.
• Act as a leader and/or point of contact for selected project, either alone or in partnership.
• Participate in cross-functional strategic planning teams, ensuring communication and full implementation of initiative recommendations.
• Primarily VP-level and above, including:
- EVP of Strategy, Portfolio & Commercial Operations (SPCO)
- VP of GBA
- SPCO Leadership Team
- GBA Leadership Team
- Leaders and DBOs for other parts of the company business
Enabling and partner line function leads
Professional Experience and Educational Requirements:
• Minimum 10 years of strong multi-discipline experience, with a preference for exposure to marketing, sales and/or operations, organizational development, and experience in management consulting or large-scale project management.
• Bachelor's degree required, with preference for advanced degree holders who have a focus in mathematics, statistics, business or medicine/science.
• Significant experience working directly with senior executives.
• Broad knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry and healthcare environment.
• Familiarity with strategic and operating planning process.
• Highly collaborative, extensive track record of building and nurturing productive networks and teams.
• Previous leadership, operations, and/or analytics experience a plus.
• Confident, self-starter: Pioneering spirit, takes initiative; eager to challenge status quo; makes informed decisions; and operates successfully in an empowered organization.
• Exceptional communicator: Can readily align interpersonal style with the individual needs of their customers, can readily understand, translate and distill the complex into commentary that enables senior managers to fully comprehend key issues at hand.
• Relationship manager: Builds long-term, trusted relationships with individuals from all levels of a matrix organization (both in and outside of GBA) understanding individual goals and objectives to ensure future alignment; ability to gain credibility with senior leaders.
• Extensive collaborator: Manages projects with and through others; shares responsibility and credit; develops self and others through teamwork; helps others take appropriate risks; communicates frequently with other team members earning the respect and trust of the team.
• Strong project manager: Clearly articulates scope and deliverables of projects; breaks complex initiatives into detailed component parts and sequences actions appropriately; develops action plans and monitors progress independently; ability to work under pressure, to take accountability and meet deadlines.
• Deep analytical skills: demonstrated analytical skills, decision-making and judgment capability.
Influential leader: Clearly articulates expectations, capabilities and action plans; actively listens with others' frame of reference in mind; readily shares information with team; favorably influences people without direct authority; discretion and trustworthiness in dealing with confidential information.
Other Information - Internal
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
the company is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. the company also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. the company is an E-Verify employer.
A little about us:
Join Pfizer in our mission to find sustainable solutions to the most urgent health care challenges of our time. Your service is needed.