This position is responsible for management of carrier operations across the United States. This includes dedicated, seasonal and on-demand carriers used in support of Bulk & On-site as well as Bulk & On-site support to Large Industries and the Oil & Gas Business.
This position is responsible for the continuing development and improvement of the overall Carrier Strategy as well as operational performance metrics to measure customer service levels and cost management. The role is responsible for negotiating multi-year, multi-location contracts for dedicated carriers in excess of 350 drivers traveling more than 20 million miles per year.
Collaboration and leadership across the distribution and logistics team and regional sales organization is required in order to deliver the safest and highest level of customer service achievable.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
• Provides safety, fiscal and operational leadership and oversight to third party transportation entities, including long term, short term and on-demand carriers.
• Monitors operational performance and works with carriers to meet standards of performance for operations, maintenance and customer service. Acts as national point of contact working with bulk zone directors to achieve excellent business results.
• Conducts monthly performance reviews with carrier terminal managers and carrier management teams.
• Works with Logistics Operations Centers in Cleveland and Houston to provide on demand carriers to meet customer demand and support to internal customers.
• Prepares and writes bid specifications and requests for proposal of transportation services for over the road and rail transportation.
• Works with customer service team to ensure carrier trip processing is accomplished in a timely manner in order to ensure accurate and timely customer invoicing as well as vendor payments.
• Responsible for formal changes in resources requirements at each carrier terminal.
• Works with carriers to provide business critical data in the same or similar methods employed by the private fleet to deliver safety and business efficiency goals (i.e. On-Board Computer and DriveCam(Lytx).
• Responsible for managing carrier driver and equipment targets as assigned through a dynamic supply chain optimization process.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
The candidate will have a minimum of fifteen years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of experience and/or training and education.
Bachelor of Science in Logistics/Business. MBA/Master's degree in related area or equivalent work experience desirable.
• Knowledge of DOT regulations with respect to fleet requirements and consistent with Airgas policy and procedures.
• Ability to interact with government officials and act in accordance with Airgas expectations as pertains to emergency situations.
• Strong personal skills to work across multiple levels of the organization to achieve desired carrier management objectives.
• Demonstrated ability to work with vendors negotiating pricing and service level
• Must have attributes of a dedicated and resourceful self-starter that can deliver results
• Ability to travel frequently and sometimes on short notice
• Solid judgment, problem solving and decision making skills
• Experience writing detailed policies and procedures and process flow documents
• Ability to demonstrate thorough knowledge of maintenance programs (preventive and corrective / demand). Familiar with industry best practices for life cycle maintenance.
• Ability to analyze a profit and loss statement in order to manage cost targets at multiple locations.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Frequently (Up to 50% of work time, short periods of 100% can be required);
COMPUTER SKILLS: Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
• Experience in SAP or other enterprise maintenace software (i.e. Oracle or Maximo) required.
• Use of internal specilaized software to manage and track accidents an injuries.
Supervises dotted line reports in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Major accountabilities include interviewing, hiring, training associates, planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining associates; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
COMMUNICATION and/or CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS:
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
• Ability to write routine business reports and business correspondence in English.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from employees and/or customers.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals using the English language.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
• Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent's.
• Ability to calculate basic cost of ownership using time value of money to evaluate lease versus buy options.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Possession of a valid license to operate motor vehicles in the state at time of appointment.
• Six Sigma certification a plus.
• Employee meets individualized training requirements
• Promotes sharing of Best Practices
EMPLOYEE QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor of Science in Logistics/Business. MBA/Master's degree in related area or equivalent work experience desirable
• General knowledge of DOT regulations, FDA and cGMPs'
• 10-15 years work experience in the dispatch/distribution function of an industrial gas operation, with demonstrated experience in managing/motivating and leading employees and teams.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Knowledge and ability to use software for spreadsheets, databases, word-processing and product management systems
• Applies knowledge of continuous improvement
• Ability to set vision and strategy for Product Supply group
• Ability to implement programs/initiatives
• Ability to use analytical thinking/techniques to solve problems
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or disability
A little about us:
Airgas is a company of hardworking men and women dedicated to helping our customers succeed.