Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Director will support the implementation of global supply strategies across our internal and external manufacturing network for drug delivery systems having an end to end view and interaction from development phase to insurance of supply at required quality and competitive cost.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Category Scope - Direct responsibility for a portfolio of categories and supplier relationships that are Global or International in nature. In collaboration with stakeholders and Regional procurement professionals and external manufacturing, creates and implements 1-3-5 year strategic sourcing strategies.
- Global Category Management: Develop and execute sourcing strategies by leveraging cross functional teams
- Sourcing Management - Uses the Sourcing Management Process to manage assurance of supply, quality, service, cost, innovation and regulatory compliance within Global or International category of spend, resulting in breakthrough strategies which optimize value and ensure appropriate risk management.
- Proactive Cost Management: Achieves cost control, cost reduction, and cost containment targets, and adds value to area of expenditure through a strong total cost orientation.
- Market Knowledge and Insight: Uses thorough market knowledge and data analysis to gain critical insights that drive the selection of Sourcing Strategies and continuous improvement activities.
- Supplier Management and Conditioning: Responsible for building relationships with portfolio of suppliers and managing supplier performance against business requirements using proven processes; ensures adequate inclusion of diversity suppliers in RFPs and contracts as applicable.
- Stakeholder Management and Business Sponsorship: Ensures appropriate stakeholders are identified and managed through stakeholder matrix. Engages assigned stakeholders and partners with them to define and meet or exceed business requirements and identify and manage profit plan savings targets. Understands strategic business requirements at 1-3-5 year horizon.
- Contract Negotiation and Management: Once strategy is approved, personally leads the sourcing including RFX, RFP, negotiations and contracting for Global and International categories to put in place the right suppliers. Negotiates at tactical and strategic levels to develop local, regional, global company contracts.
- Performance - Deliver ongoing financial metrics, lead times & quality requirement in alignment with business objectives.
- Change Management - Adopt high quality change practices with customers and stakeholders. Be a personal exemplar of the Merck Leadership Standards.
- Diversity - Actively support diversity, both within Merck as well as expanding relationships and spend with Diverse Suppliers.
- Supplier Value Management - Implements Supplier Value Management with the key suppliers in this category to foster innovation, manage supplier performance, establish a Governance Model, and ensure continuous improvement.
- BS/BA degree in engineering / Supply Chain or Business;, MBA or CPM /supply chain certification preferred
- Seven or more years' experience in manufacturing & packaging / contract manufacturing / purchasing arena
- Three or more years' of direct experience in sourcing packaging and or device components
- Three or more years' experience in complex Project Management or contract manufacturing / packaging technology demonstrating the ability to successfully complete large, complex and international projects
- Demonstrated strong problem solving, negotiation, and conflict management skills
- Drive results while dealing with ambiguity
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Able to influence at all levels in the organization
- Demonstrated capabilities in Global category management,Strategic Supplier & Relationship Management,Supplier risk management, cost optimization, Negotiation Skills, Financial/Legal Aspects with Procurement
- Mastery of purchasing knowledge, and the understanding of "best value" sourcing decisions
- Working experience in complex matrix organizations, exposure to international markets
- Experience in various methodologies for measuring the value of procurement decisions, both financially and qualitatively..
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement