PepsiCo is one of the world's largest food and beverage companies, with 2015 annual revenues of more than $63 billion. The company employs approximately 260,000 people worldwide, and its products are sold in over 200 countries. Its principal businesses include: Frito-Lay snacks, Pepsi-Cola beverages, Gatorade sports drinks, Tropicana juices and Quaker foods. The PepsiCo portfolio includes 22 brands that each generates more than $1 billion in annual retail sales.
PepsiCo Snacks Category R&D's Discovery and Disruption (D&D) Group is supporting PepsiCo's commitment to meet consumer needs through strategic and fundamental research to enable novel product and process innovation. This technically diverse team of engineers, food scientists, chemists and physicists engages in fundamental, interdisciplinary and business-relevant research to deliver proprietary technologies to R&D partners for product-process development to fuel the growth of PepsiCo's snacks business worldwide.
The D&D group leverages state-of-the-art tools (e.g. CFD modeling), advanced analytical techniques (such as synchrotron-enabled x-ray tomography), and strong fundamental engineering and scientific analyses to evaluate and advance technical projects from idea conception to pilot-scale demonstration. To ensure diversity of thought and technical excellence, the group also collaborates with world class researchers from universities and national labs, and other OI partners.
The Snacks D&D Team is seeking an R&D Director to deliver breakthrough technologies for PepsiCo's snacks business. Specifically, the role will include the following:
- Drive the business agenda by leading a team of scientists and engineers to perform novel technology research aimed at enabling product/process innovation as well as strengthening snacks process fundamentals
- Manage and execute key research programs by creating research road maps, defining research approaches, and optimizing people and budget resources
- Provide both technical and business POV at key milestones to determine next course of action, including go/no go decision, course correction, etc.
- Manage, motivate and coach a diverse team of engineers, scientists and technicians to ensure technical and professional growth of staff members while delivering required business results
- Develop and maintain a strong relationship with internal partners and external technical/scientific parties
- Provide technical consultation to all appropriate Snacks D&D research programs
- Must work well in a team, cross-functional and cross-geography environment
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 20% of the time
- 12+ years of experience in leading and executing industrial research (some post-doctorate academic research acceptable) - industry experience needed
- Strong track record in product-process research leading to business-relevant innovations
- Experience in leading teams - Direct Reports experience
- Experience outside CPG highly desired - Currently CPG experience not desired
- Demonstrated ability in guiding a team of technical staff for technical and professional growth
- Industrial research experience outside of food and beverage industry highly desirable
- Ph.D. degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, or related fields - REQUIRED
Eligible for Limited Relocation