Plans and directs all aspects of design and product engineering activities within the H&C organization. Ensures all engineering projects, initiatives, and processes are in conformance with organization's established policies and objectives. Demonstrates expertise in a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Leads and directs the work of others (Product engineers, Designers, Project managers, VAVE engineers, Laboratory techs, and Model makers among others). A wide degree of creativity is expected.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Coordinate new product development and product enhancements strategies with marketing to establish design parameters and performance goals.
• Responsible to lead and manage product innovation, intellectual property and patent applications for H&C.
• Responsible to lead and manage the deployment and execution of the JCI new product development process for all new products- In close collaboration with the other functional areas (i.e. Advanced mfg. engineering, Plant engineers, Marketing, Product managers, Operations, Customer service , and Sales, among others)
• Implement and manage Advance product quality planning at early states of the design process (i.e. Design for manufacturing/Assembly, Design for Quality, DFMEA, PFMEA, DF6S)
• Provide technical/application support to customers and sales personnel to achieve improved satisfaction levels.
• Represent Hart and Cooley's interest regarding industry standards and industry regulatory agencies. Establish and maintain product design standards to conform to product specifications and certifications.
o Coordinate and supervise UL/CSA agency and regulatory testing and approval
• Coordinate all VAVE activities from Identification to execution and ensure engineering cost savings targets are achieved.
• Coordinate and outsource Engineering and New Product Development projects with global Centers of Engineering Excellence "COE" (India and China)
• Oversee the coordination and execution of the Engineering Change Process.
• Support Manufacturing operations and Quality and provides relevant documentation for the performance of their duties.
• Assure that personnel remain qualified to provide the expertise essential to effective operations and establish effective working relationships with manufacturing personnel.
• Conduct Performance review, develop goals and development plans for new and existing employees.
• Maintain accurate and complete engineering records to provide timely information to the organization. Implement a favorable work atmosphere by cross training personnel to meet their personnel goals.
• Effectively communicate through active listening; acting on input; sharing information in an open, timely manner and encouraging others to do the same.
• Assure that design engineering, engineering laboratory, Model shop/prototyping, and documentation department activities meet corporate strategic objectives.
Directly supervises employees in the Hart and Cooley Design Engineering, Product engineering, Engineering Laboratory, Model/ prototype shop, Packaging, Project management and VAVE areas. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
BS Mechanical Engineer preferred. Bachelor's degree (B.S.) from four-year College or university; and a minimum five years of experience in engineering management/leadership positions.
HVAC experience, Venting and Chimney design Experience preferred. APQP and Six Sigma experience a plus.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. GD&T.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Required knowledge, Pro E/ Solid works (3D Modeling), AutoCad, MS Excel and MS Word using MS Windows platform. Oracle ERP systems. MS PowerPoint and MS Access experience a plus.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Professional Engineer (PE) a plus.
10%-20% travel required US only.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Attendance is an essential job requirement defined as having regular, consistent, reliable, punctual and predictable attendance including the ability to work regular hours and shifts, overtime before and after shifts and on weekends. Ability to work as part of a team, including all related departments/plants or independently as required to achieve internal and external customer satisfaction.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.