Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is a 257-bed top-performing quality hospital with over 200 of the most highly respected and qualified physicians in the area. It is the only acute care hospital in the Tri-County area that offers open heart surgery , an Advanced Primary Stroke Center accredited by the Joint Commission and an Accredited Chest Pain Center. An affiliate of the UAB Cancer Community Network , Fort Walton offers a Cancer Care Center that is accredited by the Commission on Cancer Commission on Cancer. Fort Walton Beach Medical Center also provides advanced care for critically ill patients, including cardiovascular and trauma injury care, and emergency services, including a main ER , Pediatric ER and Express ER . Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is in partnership with Twin Cities Hospital, located in Niceville. We are the parent company of the Destin Emergency Care Center (DECC) and the Rehabilitation Institute, both located on Airport Road in Destin. Director of Medical Care Unit - Oncology POSITION SUMMARY:
Provide leadership for planning, management, implementation, integration and coordination of Medical Care Unit and Oncology Services in support of facility goals dedicated to excellence, effective leadership, and financial stability. Support the delivery of the high quality, cost effective patient care through activities based on facility strategic goals and objectives. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Enhance oncology services through performance improvement and appropriate utilization of resources.
- Develop an operational system that supports a seamless flow of patients through the continuum of care.
- Collaborate with physicians to provide leadership in the oncology department.
- Evaluates and makes recommendations regarding new technology and services.
- Collaborates proactively with all interdisciplinary team members and with a patient/family focus to facilitate and maximize client healthcare outcomes. Coordinates multi-disciplinary patient care conferences for high risk or medically complex patients.
- Responsible for the planning and coordination of the reporting department activities, the operational efficiency and effectiveness as well as major impact on all other hospital areas.
- Effectively interviews and selects a qualified number of personnel as required to meet department objectives. Ensures hiring practices conform to appropriate Affirmative Action/EEO practices and regulations.
- Provides direction to the staff and supervisors of the Oncology Unit. Reviews performance of the department staff and approves staff evaluations. Responsible for appropriate disciplinary action of staff members as needed.
- Oversees the prioritization of projects and directs resources to ensure the attainment of facility goals.
- Responsible for ensuring reporting departments meet and adheres to all applicable federal, state, JCAHO, and local regulatory agency requirements and for ensuring the department and facilities success in any regulatory survey.
- Participates on various committees and other task forces as may be established by management to plan, organize and drive the facility.
- Directs and/or participates in regular discussions and reviews on a variety of diverse/complex issues including financial and administrative matters, which have hospital-wide impact.
- Responsible for making decisions required to maintain acceptable operations based on strategic goals and policies. Displays ingenuity and foresight in determining the most appropriate solution in the absence of established guidelines.
- Confers with other department directors when necessary to resolve procedural difficulties, clarifying department responsibilities, objectives and resolving identified problems.
- Directs, reviews, and analyzes progress and performance of contract services personnel. Makes recommendation on contract initiation, renewals and termination.
- Responsible for special projects as assigned by the Administrative Management Team. Meets all objectives as set forth in individual evaluation and displays a good work attitude towards job responsibilities.
- Adheres to hospital/departmental attendance policy, work hours and maintenance of personal appearance as stated in facility policy.
- Actively seeks ways to control costs without comprising patient safety, quality of care or the services delivered.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system and reports trends in occurrences to staff. This information is used to improve patient safety.
- Ensures staff is educated on established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated outcome in the patient's care which results in patient harm.
- Addresses patient safety in the Performance Improvement Plan.
#-LI-MS1FLQualifications: EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED:
- Associates Nursing Degree required; Bachelors preferred
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
- Florida RN licensure required
- BLS required upon hire
- ONS chemotherapy certification within 1 year of hire date
- ONC Certification preferred
- Attendance at ONS program within 1 year of hire date
- 3-5 years' experience in cancer related clinical setting preferred
- 3-5 years progressive management experience required
An EEO/AA Employer M/F/V/D. Tobacco Free Campus.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom