We are Farmers!
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world. Start your career at Farmers today! Job Summary
Today, the Farmers Digital Transformation is a new strategic initiative that was formed to drive agility throughout our business and to respond faster to market demands. A critical part of the initiative is to grow and lead the newly engineering team for mobile to foster innovation and to promote lean, agile processes while delivering products in two key areas: mobile and web services. A career at Farmers Insurance offers compelling ways of delivering something that is not only impactful for the organization but also for our customers.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for hiring, leading, and managing a cross-functional project team responsible for developing mobile products
- Drive the mobile project and be responsible for every phase of the development lifecycle, including project planning, product development, releases, quality control, and customer feedback
- Possess the technical acumen and even know-how to win the respect of your engineering team as well as to provide thoughtful analysis and articulation of system architecture and engineering process to IT and Marketing leadership
- Translate business requirements, plan and devise a budget, product roadmap, and an execution plan ensure timely delivery of desired results and quality products
- Accountable for day-to-day project support and assist team members to unblock or resolve any issues that may arise
- Identify, manage, and escalate system- and process-related issues and liaise with internal and external business partners on resolution
- Initiate proper data collection and analytics, execute ad-hoc reports on resource utilization and help establish metrics for team and ensure performance against metrics is tracked and measured
- Mentor the team, and develop and retain talents
- Leverage best practices from industry in driving operational improvements, assuring quality, and delivering high quality work in a timely manner. Make recommendations on program changes and conduct cost/benefit analysis of potential improvements
Required job duties are essentially sedentary work consisting of occasional walking, standing and lifting and/or carrying 10 lbs. maximum, and seeing.
Required job duties are normally performed in a climate controlled office environment.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent or specific relevant experience
Special Skill Requirement
- 10-15 years of experience in Information Technology
- Experience in agile development
- 7+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years of experience as an engineering or technical manager building and leading strong engineering teams
Farmers is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of a diverse workforce.
- Hands-on technical expertise in mobile software design and development
- This role does not require hands-on coding, but must have basic proficiency in at least 1 mobile platform ie. iOS/Swift/Objective-C or Android/Java. Proficiency in coding in 2 mobile platforms would be a big plus
- Excellent interpersonal relationship and partnership skills
- Ability to work cross functionally and hold people accountable for deliverables without a formal reporting structure
- Must demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills. Must have ability to effectively use data to drive recommendations
- Proficiency in Excel, Google Docs, Microsoft 365, Rally, JIRA, Pivotal Trackers, GitHub, Markdown, or equivalent tools would be a big plus
- Fair understanding of system architecture, QA methodology, user experience, and software engineering process/best practices would be a plus
- Plus: Must have a knack for technology benefits/limitations to communicate technology selection and trade-offs with the team and business stakeholders
A little about us: