Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Leads the sourcing efforts supporting the internal manufacture of bulk drug substances, drug products (small molecule & biologics), and vaccines, within the Merck manufacturing network (including pilot plants and commercialization sites). The Director will lead the development and implementation of procurement strategies, Global Category Management, contract management, risk management, stakeholder management, and supplier value management within the direct material categories of chemicals, raw materials, sterile packaging containers, and sterile filling/manufacturing components & assemblies. The successful incumbent will develop and maintain strong relationships with key leaders within MMD (Merck Manufacturing Division), namely sterile/non-sterile operations, GSTC (Global Science, Technology & Commercialization), MMD site and line of business leadership, site procurement, quality/regulatory, Finance, Legal, and Shared Business Services, and other corporate functions.Primary activities include, but are not limited to: Leadership
- As a key leader of a category of spend, accountable for development and implementation of robust sourcing strategies that link to core business deliverables while leveraging the marketplace and supplier community. Delivers exemplary results in the right way.Procurement Leadership
- Provide the leadership, strategy and policy for the function building a high performance engagement model with the business and regions. Organizational Development
- Build a core team of high quality procurement professionals who have direct accountability for spend management, category management, and execution. Partners with stakeholders outside of Global Procurement to ensure alignment of strategies. Category scope
- Direct responsibility for supplier relationships around the world, and is worldwide point of contact for global relationships with numerous key suppliers, which are complex and difficult to manage. Sourcing Management
- Utilize/drive sourcing management as a structured process including obtaining sponsorship and creating/leading cross-functional teams. Upon receiving approval for sourcing strategies, oversee/execute sourcing levers (including but not limited to RFx, negotiations, contracting activities) to ensure appropriate sourcing rigor. Compliance to Source Recommendation Committee (SRC), category strategy development, Supplier Performance Management process, and other supply management processes is key. Strategy Development/Implementation
- Create breakthrough strategies which deliver quick wins and generate legitimate business value. Drive innovation. Change Management
- Adopt high quality change practices with customers and stakeholders, building and implementing an organization which is sustainable. Be a leader by example and practice, embodying the Merck Leadership Standards. Continuous Improvement
- Ensure that every supplier relationship is established with intent of future continuous improvement, and to lead and manage the measurement and review process to ensure delivery of expectations.Stakeholder Management
- Work in a way that positively engages the support of business colleagues using problem solving, transparency, and proactive communication skills. Build sourcing management pipeline, ensuring stakeholder alignment and compliance to supply management processes. Diversity
- Actively support diversity, both within Merck as well as expanding relationships and spend with Diverse Suppliers. Business requirements/cost management focus
- Must have keen insight and understanding of business requirements on a 1/3/5 year horizon, and partners with Global Procurement and business peers to drive cost reductions. Implement Supplier Value Management with the key suppliers in this category to foster innovation, manage supplier performance, establish appropriate governance model, and ensure continuous improvement.Qualifications:
- Required: BS degree, preferred degree concentration in engineering, chemistry, chemical engineering, and manufacturing.
- Preferred:MBA or MS in Industrial Engineering/Finance/supply chain
- A minimum of 7 years procurement and business management experience, within manufacturing environment or company.
- A minimum of 3 years of direct experience in direct materials procurement.
- Technical - Broad base of procurement category knowledge, experience within manufacturing environment for pharmaceutical products (sterile & non-sterile)/consumer products/cGMP
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement