Airgas USA, LLC is Now Hiring
Director of Safety in Long Beach, CA
Are Safety, Ethics and Excellent Customer Service important to you?
Are you excited to drive success with welding, advanced fabrication, and manufacturing companies?
Are you ready to be part of a passionate and hard-working team eager to drive our business forward? Discover an exciting Career with Airgas as our Safety Director!
Airgas USA, LLC, a Fortune 500, $6B organization is planning for continued growth. As the largest distributor of welding, industrial, medical and specialty gases and hard goods in the United States, Airgas has the versatility to provide the best solution at the best value, direct to our customers. Bring your competitive drive to Airgas and ability to work in a fast-paced, results oriented environment! Position Summary:
The Director of Safety and Compliance Advanced Fabrication will be responsible for loss control prevention, reporting, investigation and follow-up relative to both vehicle and personal injury accidents, property damage, near miss incidents and customer incidents involving Airgas West supplied products. Has responsibility for motivating and training all Airgas West associates in the areas of personal safety health, regulatory compliance and environmental concerns. These duties should be carried out personally or through subordinate supervisors or specialists. Has overall responsibility for the training and performance of the Safety Specialists. Essential Job Functions:
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or is an essential function of the position.
Qualifications: Successful candidates will:
- All duties and responsibilities shall be performed as set forth in established policies and procedures.
- Adhere to and assure compliance with the Code of Conduct/Handbook, policies and procedures and all applicable rules, regulations and standards promulgated by Federal, State and other applicable agencies or regulating bodies.
- Must lead within the Airgas culture - putting safety first. Implementing and maintaining the directives of Airgas' safety policies and procedures.
- Provide training or schedule training by others to satisfy requirements of the safety specialists.
- Assure that safety meeting attendance and subject matter are properly documented in accordance with Airgas procedures and federal agencies. (DOT, OSHA, CGMP, FDA).
- Direct compliance efforts in the area of U.S. Department of Labor and OSHA (posting/filing OSHA 200 logs, Hazard Communication, MSDS, LockOut/TagOut and Confined Space training)
- Direct the compliance efforts of Compressed Medical Gas operations to assure compliance with the FDA. Includes periodic reviews of facilities, training and certification of associates, assurance that recordkeeping and files are current, equipment is being properly maintained and calibrated, and certificates of analysis are available for all products used for equipment calibration purposes.
- Make studies and analyses of industrial accident causes and hazards to health for use by company personnel and outside agencies.
- Formulates general safety policies and procedures to be followed by company or plant personnel in compliance with local, state and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules.
- Responsible for all environmentally related regulatory compliance efforts (SARA, Waste Management, etc.)
- Inspects or tours organization facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, and recommends corrective or preventive measures where indicated; performs periodic internal safety audits and assures that the results of these reviews are made available to the facility manager, Regional President and Safecor Representative as needed.
- Makes suggestions for corrective actions for deficiencies found as a result of facility reviews/audits, along with specific projection dates for approved necessary corrections.
- Maintains and upgrades industry, product, job knowledge and regulatory laws and procedures on an on-going basis.
- Maintain and distribute Airgas procedure manuals and updates for each facility in the region.
- Maintain an accurate list of emergency contact telephone numbers, addresses and names; provide information to Safecor Representatives for emergency response/Chemtrec listings.
- Keeps managers and associates alerted as to the hazards of working with toxic fumes, dangerous chemicals, and any other hazardous substances.
- Participates in the investigation of accidents and injuries and cooperates in the preparation of material and evidence for use in hearings, lawsuits and insurance investigations.
- Compiles and submits accident/injury reports required by regulatory agencies and Safecor.
- Works closely with Human Resources Department on worker's compensation program, including working with the third party administrator to cut down on associate lost time claims and unjust claims.
- Devises, supervises and coordinates training programs or media which will increase the proficiency in safe practices and promote safety consciousness throughout the Company.
- Prepares and arranges safety exhibits and material for display, promotional work, industry conferences, and exhibitions.
- Represents the organization in community or industry safety groups and programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Airgas offers a full benefits package includes:
- Be committed to safety and team excellence
- Be personable, professional, responsive, knowledgeable and bring value to the Customer's business
- Bachelor's degree (BA) and 5 years related experience or equivalent 10 years related experience and/ or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be customer service oriented and able to interact with the public in a professional manner.
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment and be detailed-oriented with good organizational skills.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, technical procedures or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write routine business reports and correspondence and effectively present information and respond to questions from associates, managers, customers and the general public.
- Must have good math skills; ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and percentages; ability to handle cash transactions accurately.
- Possess conceptual understanding of industrial gas products, production, distribution applications and equipment
- Must have extensive coordination experience in a multi team environment.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Office suite of applications - Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency with SAP software desired.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance, Vacation, Sick, Paid Holidays, 401(k) Retirement Plan with company match, Tuition Reimbursement and much more...
What do our Team Members have to say?
"Great place to work with great growth potential" - Director, Atlanta
"Opportunity to advance and a great safety program" - Driver, Cheshire
"Fun people to work with and flexible management" - Sales Specialist
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability
Airgas is a company of hardworking men and women dedicated to helping our customers succeed.