Director - Tax Planning
The success of Johnson Controls is enabled by the commitment and dedication of our 130,000 employees around the world. With our continued growth focus, we are a company where employees can express ideas, make a difference and build their future.
Our workplace emphasizes integrity and ethics. We are customer-focused, continually looking to innovate and enhance our products, service and solutions. To help our employees grow, we believe it's vital to strengthen their engagement and develop their skills and leadership capabilities. We are looking to add to our team and encourage applications from candidates that believe in our core purpose, our core values.
Under general supervision of the Executive Director Tax Strategy and consistent with company policy and generally accepted accounting and business principles, responsible for research, planning and implementation of tax projects primarily related to international tax matters. This position will also assist with the management of international and domestic tax inspections and management of global tax planning strategies. Directs individuals within the tax planning group as well as other tax department and non-tax department personnel with respect to project analysis, implementation and reporting and documentation.
Who we are
- Directs other tax team members, executes, and prepares research and computational analysis of US International tax and Local Foreign tax issues and considerations in relation to transactions and planning initiatives.
- Directs implementation of tax planning initiatives to reduce overall worldwide tax liabilities of the Company which includes the coordination of all stakeholder approvals, documentation and non-tax considerations.
- Identifies and coordinates US tax accounting and tax reporting requirements relating to tax planning projects with other groups within the tax department.
- Disseminates information regarding new tax developments to department and finance leaders and other impacted groups within the company to create new tax reduction opportunities.
- Serves as trusted business and tax advisor to divisional personnel worldwide and advises on US and local corporate income tax matters, collects information regarding business changes and identifies tax-efficient structures to accommodate business needs.
- Reviews tax technical publications and other corporate publications for technical accuracy of planned tax reduction strategies, as well as development of new opportunities for tax savings.
- Supports worldwide corporate income tax audits as they relate to the defense of tax planning initiatives previously implemented.
- Coordinates external tax advice as it relates to tax planning initiatives.
- Mentors and leads tax department members and teams with other department leaders to maximize employee engagement and provide opportunities for growth.
- Trains and Develops tax department members through coaching and supervision
At Johnson Controls, we're shaping the future to create a world that's safe, comfortable and sustainable. Our global team creates innovative, integrated solutions to make cities more connected, buildings more intelligent and vehicles more efficient. We are passionate about improving the way the world lives, works and plays. The future requires bold ideas, an entrepreneurial mind-set and collaboration across boundaries. You need a career focused on tomorrow. Tomorrow needs you.
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation during the application process please email SpecialAccommodations@Tyco.com
- Bachelor degree in accounting with Master's degree, in Accounting/Tax or Law degree preferred.
- Minimum 12 years of experience with large multinational corporate tax structures or equivalent relevant experience.
- Minimum 6 years of supervisory and/or management experience.
- Minimum 6 years tax planning experience in either a public accounting, law firm, or corporate tax environment.
- In-depth knowledge of US international tax law required; knowledge of foreign tax law a plus.
- In depth understanding of non-tax considerations related to tax planning initiatives including but not limited to treasury, accounting and legal knowledge.
- Proven organizational and project management skills in fast-paced environment.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to review numerical tax analysis and supporting details in support of the projects
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain constructive working relationships with general management and tax and non-tax professionals in a multi-cultural environment.
- Results-oriented team player and leader.
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.