Job Location: United States : North Carolina : Charlotte
In January 2016, MetLife announced a plan to pursue the separation of a substantial portion of its U.S. Retail segment. Once separated, the new business will be called Brighthouse Financial.
Brighthouse Financial will serve customers the way they want, need and deserve. It will focus on eliminating the complexity, confusion and cost that can get in the way of many Americans who are seeking financial security. We will bring products to the market that add value to our customers’ lives, and will be guided by a common set of values that focus on the customer and drive accountability.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking high-performing team members who are passionate about the company’s mission. We are laser-focused on adding value to our customers and minimizing complexity in every decision and action. We are building high performing teams who set the bar high and hold each other accountable.
This position is responsible for achieving results through the direct supervision of underwriters. The focus of the job is on the assignment of work, monitoring time service, productivity goals, and ensuring accurate, competitive classification of individual insurance risks. This position is also responsible for leading and supervising the new business call center.
- Responsible for providing direction to underwriting staff; this could range from entry-level to highly experienced underwriters with significant individual underwriting authority. May provide direction to the Underwriting Team Manager(s).
- Provides consultative services to sales personnel and wholesalers to advise on alternatives where MetLife is unable to issue a policy.
- May have responsibility for an underwriting caseload of unique or complex cases.
- Focus on broader and more diverse underwriting issues; participate with senior management to set underwriting strategies, policies, guidelines, and standards for timely service and production goals.
- Provides guidance and renders final ruling on unusual cases; communicates any changes/revisions in guidelines to staff.
- Builds relationships with sales force by conducting sales office visits and giving presentations.
- Develops staff. Fosters a positive, motivating work environment that empowers staff to take responsibility and achieve department goals.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Full people management responsibility, including hiring, termination, promotions, performance management, compensation, training and development.
- 10 years life underwriting experience and minimum of 2 years experience managing underwriting staff, or 10 years management experience with significant experience in an underwriting management role.
- Expert knowledge of underwriting policies and procedures and guidelines dealing with risk analysis.
- Knowledge of insurance principles including mortality, insurable interest and actuarial theory.
- Strong math skills for determining mortality, financial underwriting and risk clarification.
- Superior knowledge of life products, services and the overall insurance industry.
- Understanding of medical terminology, human biology and anatomy.
- Competencies: Focuses on Customers, Communicates Effectively, Manages Performance Effectively, Inspires a Shared Vision, Builds Relationships.
- Strong written and verbal communication and influencing skills.
- Tenacious with follow-up, detail orientation and organizational skills.
- A team player with positive attitude.
- Energetic and embodies the focus needed to build a new business.
- Academy of Life Underwriting coursework towards completion of AALU or FALU designation.
- Life Office Management Association coursework towards completion of ALMI or FLMI designation.
- Typically requires an Associate/Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Requisition #: 30585