The Director provides project management and leadership skills to the Center for External Innovation in the successful identification, evaluation, and conclusion of transactions as well as post-transaction collaboration management to meet Takeda's strategic objectives. The Director also helps create and implement CEI's external communication strategy, develop and implement knowledge management systems, and helps drive strategic and operational initiatives for CEI. Summary of Responsibilities Project Management
- Collaborate with the global CEI team as well as key stakeholders such as Global Business Development, Legal, IP, Finance, and other members of the deal teams to develop and execute on the DDU's and TAU's external innovation strategies and plans.
- Collaborate with global colleagues to prioritize and monitor progress on TAU-driven external innovation elements, drive the teams to achieve clarity on issues for each external opportunity, focus on effective contingencies, interface with TAU and CEI management to drive and influence decision-making, monitoring slippage, and develop strategies to get back on plan and navigate through the internal governance process for external projects.
- Collaborate with CEI, GBD, and Finance colleagues to develop and maintain long range P&L for CEI deal portfolio.
- Collaborate with global CEI and GBD colleagues, as well as corporate communications, R&D communications, and external firms to develop communication strategies and corresponding marketing materials (print, online, social media, etc.) aimed at improving Takeda's brand recognition and outside party perceptions of Takeda as a deal partner as well as for the effective communication of CEI's mission to internal and external audiences.
Strategic and operational initiatives
- Collaborate with global Takeda colleagues and external firms to assess user requirements and design technology solutions to address CEI's needs such in knowledge management such as contacts management and analytics, deal flow tracking and reporting, external innovation network analytics, and post-deal obligations management (financial & non-financial).
ACCOUNTABILITIES: Project Management
- Develop and implement sustainable solutions to meet corporate strategic initiatives re: productivity and profitability; develop and implement operating models, systems and processes to improve efficiency of CEI and GBD such as improving triage and due diligence processes, reduce cycle times for segments of the deal flow process, solve bottlenecks, and improve quality of materials presented to PRC and BOD.
Strategic and Operational Initiatives
- In collaboration with CEI team members, proactively drive project and resource priorities that align with the DDU and TAU external innovation business objectives.
- In collaboration with global CEI colleagues, assemble and manage cross-functional due diligence teams, define and track the progress of due diligence, outline key strategic objectives and operational plans for each transaction, ensure timelines are met for due diligence, ensure deal needs are defined and tracked (e.g. budgeting, financial evaluation, operational resources needed for post-deal management, etc.).
- Establish, communicate, and execute plans resulting in achievement of the external innovation project goals of each DDU and TAU.
- Guide and manage the creation of templates that encompass all ongoing and previously reviewed deals
- Manage project status reporting including scheduled as well as ad-hoc updates to CEI and GBD.
- Identify ways to accelerate project execution where possible while maintaining high quality standards.
- Continuously and efficiently manage stakeholders at various levels and across functions.
- Partner with global CEI colleagues DDUs, and TAUs to develop and monitor project-specific timelines, identify ways to efficiently manage due diligence and other deal activities, make suggestions for improving the deal review and governance process.
- Collaborate with global CEI colleagues to define the key strategic and operational objectives and needs for each external transaction. Define the key success metrics for each transaction and establish mechanism/process to track post-deal progress on these objectives and success metrics. Communicate progress, lessons learned, and suggestions for improvement to CEI and GBD as well as to broader TAU/DDU community and External Innovation committee.
- Prepare and communicate to External Innovation committee on a periodic and ongoing basis progress against metrics for each transaction, discussing the lessons learned and operational needs as well as suggestions for improvements.
- Participate in the discussions with DDU, TAU, and Portfolio Managament functions to set the external innovation strategy and plan DDUs and TAUs and prioritize external transactions.
- Orchestrate the involvement of appropriate cross-regional, cross-functional, cross-divisional and external partners in relevant communications, decisions and working groups (as per contractual commitment).
- Improve triage process for potential deals to reduce resources spent evaluating off-strategy deals.
- Collaborate with CEI and GBD colleagues to redesign a fit-for-purpose due diligence process
- Revise and/or create new processes for due diligence to be used by CEI/BD Leads and PMs describing fit-for-purpose due diligence approach with key questions to be answered and roles/responsibilities for each stakeholder/key function by deal stage and type
- Create and implement streamlined due diligence reporting templates for each key due diligence team/stakeholder
- Develop quantitative KPI metrics for various stages of CEI deal flow e.g. cycle times from CDA to due diligence, due diligence to NBTS/No-Go, due diligence initiation to final decision (NBTS/PRC approval or no-go); % of deals closed; % of deals that progress to NBTS, etc.
- Measure CEI performance against metrics and report results to CEI senior management
- Collaborate with global Takeda colleagues in CEI, GBD, Corporate Communications, and external firms to develop and successfully deliver effective communication materials for key meetings, conferences, and conventions such as BIO, Takeda External Innovation meetings, JP Morgan, etc.
- Measure the effectiveness of the CEI/GBD internal and external communication strategies via surveys, benchmarking, etc. in making a significant improvement versus survey baselines:
- Internal target areas: internal customers' and stakeholders' awareness of, engagement with, and confidence in CEI and GBD regarding strategic and financial contributions to R&D and Commercial
- External target areas: Takeda's ability to add value to partners' compound/TA of interest; Takeda's creativity and flexibility on deal terms, Takeda's responsiveness during deal negotiations, accessibility of CEI/GBD to outside parties, and alliance management
- Articulate the effectiveness of CEI's external and internal communication strategy to CEI senior management
Qualifications EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS: Education
- Implement technology and process solutions to meet Takeda's manage external innovation objectives (especially for the CEI, GBD, and Research functions) in the areas of competitive intelligence, contact management, transaction management, and deal/opportunity evaluation and planning
- Develop processes and job aids for system users and foster wide adoption of the systems and process across CEI, GBD, and Research.
- Develop and implement robust and user-friendly reporting capabilities of the Knowledge Management system.
- Bachelor's Degree science or business-related field
- Advanced degree in science or business is required
- PMP certification strongly desired
- MBA or equivalent strongly desired
Knowledge and Skills:
- Thorough knowledge (minimum 10years) of pharmaceutical industry and experience in Clinical Research, Regulatory, CMC, Marketing, or other drug development related function or related experience in strategic/management consulting to pharmaceutical industry.
- 6-8 years project management experience and/or proven leadership experience in managing a global, matrix team with or without direct reports.
- Significant relevant experience in global intercultural cooperation
- Proven leadership skills managing matrix teams, influencing outcomes and key project decisions, and strategic problem-solving ability
- Proven ability to communicate clearly and present key information objectively and collaborate effectively with management
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and concisely communicate/ prepare presentations for management
- Strong influencing skills
- Project leadership and management skills are essential
- Therapeutic area expertise is strongly desirable
- Ability to predict issues and solve problems by independent resolution
- Ability to articulate and establish processes that have impact cross-functionally, cross-divisionally, and cross-geographically
- Ability to drive decision-making within a cross-functional and cross-cultural global team structure
- Ability to work in a virtual setting/across time-zones, i.e., making effective use of communication tools (WebEx, TelePresence, telephone and video conferencing, etc.)
- Ability to inspire and motivate an interfacing and cross-geographical team
- Flexibility, tolerance, and diplomacy to best manage change and differing opinions
- Ability to work in a highly complex, multi-cultural, often stressful environment
- Highly effective communications skills - written and verbal
- Management of multiple tasks of varied complexity simultaneously
- Excellent organizational skills
- A solid business background as well as excellent commercial understanding are essential
- Effective negotiation and positive influencing abilities
- Proven ability to work effectively and diplomatically in conflict situations
- Highly effective presentation skills - create and deliver presentations with appropriate messaging and focused recommendations
- Microsoft Project Professional, SharePoint, Excel, PowerPoint & Word
- Fluency in English
- Fluency in Japanese is a plus
we are driven to improve people's lives www.takedajobs.com Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please. Schedule
- May travel to the US and Japan offices and other meeting locations internationally.
- Approximately 25% travel is required.
A little about us:
Takeda fosters an inclusive environment where all employees are empowered to shine.