Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Director, Public Policy
As a leader on the State Government Affairs & Policy Team (GA&P), you will be responsible for developing and implementing state legislative and regulatory policy strategy consistent with the company's business and public policy objectives.
- Analyze state and federal policy issues affecting access to innovative medicines and the broader healthcare marketplace
- Develop policy options and recommendations to address emerging policy issues
- Draft policy position papers and coordinate internal and external input in support of Company positions
- Work with business units and Government Affairs to implement policy positions as required
- Provide strategic input to product teams and business units on impact of government policy and regulatory issues
- Provide strategic guidance to support public sector product coverage
- Work with Government Affairs, Customer Segments and business teams to develop policy in support of new product launches
- Draft and provide input for senior leader briefings
- Negotiate and manage contracts for legislative and regulatory tracking, as well as policy support on behalf of GA&P operations
- Provide recommendations for action to the AVP State Government Affairs & Policy and communicate approved recommendations to team
- Identify and facilitate necessary training for Government Affairs team on healthcare insurance/payer market reform impacting access to pharmaceuticals
- Manage Merck's relationships with select national state government organizations and industry groups across the healthcare continuum
- Education Minimum Requirement: BA/BS degree
- At least 4 years of experience addressing state and federal policies impacting Medicaid, Medicare, and healthcare reform
- Experience analyzing healthcare policy and regulatory environment impacting pharmaceuticals
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Proven ability to analyze state and federal legislation and develop public policy positions
- Proven ability to work within and across teams
- Graduate degree in public policy, public administration, public health, business, or law
- Proven ability to build relationships with high-level executives in healthcare and/or in state government
- Experience analyzing health insurance policy
- Experience working with external stakeholders and partners
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement