Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Publication Management Lead in Global Scientific and Medical Publications (GSMP) provides a high level of management expertise with an in-depth understanding of Publication Strategy and Management and of the overall drug development process. The Lead is responsible for leading, managing (including recruitment, training, performance management), developing and mentoring a team of global Publication Managers located in NJ and PA as they drive the comprehensive identification, planning, resourcing, execution, and tracking of activities that deliver high-quality scientific and medical publications to medical journals and scientific congresses worldwide. The Lead provides both direct technical guidance and general oversight, ensuring overall understanding of company priorities and goals. The Lead guides publication management activities for all products across all therapeutic areas and oversees compliance with Company publication policies and procedures, working collaboratively with stakeholders on all levels both within and outside the company, including Merck Research Laboratories, Global Human Health Medical Affairs and Marketing, and medical communication agencies. The Lead provides guidance for overall budget forecasting for outsourced publication activities as well as for planning, resourcing, and risk management for medical communication agency projects. The Lead is a key contributor to the GSMP Leadership Team and reports to the Executive Director, GSMP. Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree plus 15 years of pharmaceutical industry experience, 10 years peer-reviewed publication management experience; 5 years people management experience
- Master's degree plus 10 years of pharmaceutical industry experience, 8 years peer-reviewed publication management experience; 5 years people management experience
- Doctorate degree plus 8 years of pharmaceutical industry experience, 6 years peer-reviewed publication management experience, 5 years people management experience
- Experienced and formally trained people manager within the pharmaceutical industry
- Proven ability to lead/represent a function within a matrix organization
- History of operational excellence, leading diverse groups to deliver on objectives, ability to define solutions and formulate and execute on actions across a global organization.
- Hands-on experience in a publication management role in a pharmaceutical or biopharmaceutical company with a track-record of accomplishment and understanding of applicable regional legal and regulatory hurdles
- Experience developing global publication strategies, managing publication plans, establishing and maintaining relationships with scientific communication agencies and vendors, communicating with external and internal authors, and leading publication committees
- Thorough in-depth understanding of scientific platform development
- Advanced understanding of the clinical development process, clinical study data and outcomes measures
- Experience using the DataVision publication database for publication planning as well as tracking of publication project execution
- Thorough understanding of industry and publications standards with respect to authorship, industry best practice, quality and appropriateness of medical/scientific communications (Good Publication Practices)
- Proven ability to direct external vendors and manage budgets, timelines, and quality of deliverables
- Ability to conduct oneself in a highly professional and ethical manner
- Highly organized, effective communicator; strong presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills, able to create and foster relationships and collaborations
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs
- ISMPP Certified Medical Publication Professional (CMPP)
- Strong scientific background
- Experience with biopharmaceutical drug development in oncology and/or virology
- Experience using the DataVision Finance Module
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement