Johnson & Johnson Vision, part of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Director of R&D, Hardware and Software, in Santa Ana, California.
Johnson & Johnson Vision is committed to improving and restoring sight for patients worldwide. Since debuting the world’s first disposable soft contact lens in 1987, it has been helping patients see better through their world-leading ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses. In 2017, J&J expanded into cataract surgery, laser refractive surgery (LASIK) and consumer eye health and now serves more than 60 million patients a day across 103 countries with its eye health portfolio. Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Director R&D, Hardware and Software provides leadership, vision and direction of an R&D development function or R&D program. May be responsible for software electronic design, mechanical design, research and/or hardware reliability development functions. Collaborates across the division to optimize products and development programs strategy and budgets. Responsible for effective people leadership, up to Sr. Manager level staff. Conduct high level program management coordination and strategic decision ownership for a wide range of Ophthalmic core products (eg. solutions, implants, aberrometers, femto lasers, phacoemulsification equipment) and all related technologies. Manage direct reports at manager, and administrative levels. Provide management guidance for their organizations to ensure market leading technology and product development.
The Director R&D, Hardware and Software will:
• Direct activities to ensure new product development activities are achieved within agreed upon scope, timeline, and budget
• Recruits, coaches and develops organizational talent
• Fosters a diverse workplace that enables all participants to contribute to their full potential in pursuit of organizational objectives
• Creates an entrepreneurial environment
• Provides general direction to managers, exempt specialists and non-exempt support in various areas, groups and/or operations
• Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action
• Demonstrates effective change leadership
• Builds strategic partnerships to further departmental and organizational objectives. Interacts internally and externally with executive level management, outside regulatory agencies, customers, vendors and/or suppliers
• Coordinates across functional areas, business units, and/or geographies in order to achieve Division goals
• Utilizes technical/professional knowledge and skills to establish, interpret and execute company policies in a major segment of the company
• Monitors and ensures compliance with company policies and procedures (e.g. compliance with FDA regulations, etc.).
• Makes and executes operational decisions with a strategic perspective
• Directs and controls the activities and budget of one or more functional areas, divisions, product groups and/or operations.
•BS in Physical/Life Sciences, Math, or Engineering. Advanced degree (MS/Ph.D.) preferred.
•10+ years’ experience in R&D with increasing responsibility in management required. •Technical/Business Knowledge (Job Skills)) Monitors progress of departments or units toward divisional and company goals; monitors all costs associated with assigned organizational unit; monitors company-wide indicators such as market share and profitability; monitors industry trends and external environment in areas relevant to the assigned organizational unit.
•Will perform this job in a quality system environment. Failure to adequately perform tasks can result in noncompliance with governmental regulations.
•Cognitive Skills - Develops and/or identifies new work processes that will have broad applicability throughout the company; contributes ideas for improving work processes and achieving organizational goals.
•Investigates and solves problems that impact work processes and personnel in multiple units or departments; develops and communicates a vision for a major segment of the organization.