The Director, R&D Global Program Management (D GPM) position is a high impact, leadership role responsible for leading key elements of program strategy and cross-functional execution within Shire's Early-stage Global Product Team / Late-stage Global Product Teams (EPT/LPT). The D GPM role requires a talented leader with proven expertise in overseeing cross-functional teams and driving product strategy, planning and program execution; often for high priority programs at Shire. The D GPM, in partnership with the Global Development Leader (GDL) will drive program management and ensure clear and timely communication of program strategy, implementation plans and program progress. The D GPM together with the GDL in the EPT/ and the GDL and Product Strategy Leads (PSL) in the LPT will work to ensure the cross-functional teams operate effectively with positive Global team dynamics driving product development.
As a team member of larger, more complex LPTs the D GPM is expected to be knowledgeable about the overall development program in order to be strategic in planning, program progress oversight, communication and process management. The D GPM achieves this by delivering high quality program management leadership and other high value services that support the team and improve the probability of program success.
The R&D D GPM together with the GDL must be able to both provide strategic vision and guide the team to develop integrated plans for successfully executing the strategy. The successful delivery of development milestones and goals ties to the overall longevity of Shire's pipeline and commercial infrastructure.
The R&D D GPM will be responsible for one or more complex programs with significant complex cross-functional and cross-program strategic management.
The D. GPM will:
• Coordinate and drive development process planning activities of the EPT/LPT including Integrated Development Plans, Long Range Plan, budget inputs and go/no go criteria as appropriate.
• Work closely with the Early-stage Product Team / Global Development Lead (E/GDL) and the PSL to facilitate the approval and execution of the global program strategy, as well as facilitate decision-making process for their development program(s)
• Work independently to provide best-in-class operations and program management expertise to drive EPT/LPT members towards excellence in execution.
• Maintain the overall development plans and enterprise R&D portfolio inputs
• Collaborate with GDL/PSL and EPT/LPT functional team members to ensure coordinated evaluation of product opportunities/ scenarios and development of comprehensive integrated recommendations (e.g., to Governance Committees) and strategic and operational product plans based on program defined objectives.
• Implement development plan by managing EPT/LPT operations, i.e.
o Track development project timelines and budget
o Drive team meetings/agendas/minutes including drive and track 'actions'
o Facilitate team goal setting and tracking to ensure adherence to plan and strategy, and end of year team evaluation process
o Coordinate EPT/LPT communications to ensure team member alignment
o Issue and present reports to senior management on a routine basis
• Closely collaborate with Product Strategy Program Managers (PSPMs) and Tech. Ops PM's to ensure operational alignment of R&D activities endorsed deliverables and priorities (if applicable)
• Drive the creation of process-related initiatives to enhance business performance
• Working with other Program Managers and with Development Leads, to establish a common decision processes & criteria for key development decisions, e.g. go/no go criteria and stage-gate decisions.
• Lead other cross-functional projects (either strategic and/or operational) required by R&D Program Management
• Reinforce team operating principles to maximize alignment within the team and with others
• The R&D D GPM may work directly with more junior Program Managers and may provide guidance and mentorship
• Demonstrate strong finance and business acumen
EPT/LPT Strategy / Operations / Program Management
R&D Program Management Processes and R&D Ops
Mentorship of Junior R&D PM Staff (if applicable)
Education & Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor's degree in life sciences or related field required; Advanced degree (MS or MBA) with relevant pharmaceutical industry experience preferred
• Minimum of 15 years of experience in pharmaceutical drug development with demonstrated success leading multi-site, global or enterprise-wide programs in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry
• Minimum of 8 years of cross-functional program management experience
• Training, coaching and leadership experience
• Knowledgeable in at least one functional area (proven experience); has to be able to assess validity of overall program/project strategy and deliverables
• Strong business acumen
• Proven Leader with ability to manage multiple complex cross-functional teams and processes
• Demonstrated experience managing programs in different stages of development
• Project Management Professional (PMP) certification or equivalent proficiency a plus
• Strong knowledge and understanding of global drug product development.
• Strong understanding and competency in planning processes and decision making
• Demonstrated experience using standard program management tools and software including integrated development plans, timelines, risk management, and budget development and monitoring
Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We strive to develop best-in-class products across our core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Ophthalmics, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal/Internal Medicine/Endocrine, Hereditary Angioedema, and Oncology.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire is an equal opportunity employer. Shire evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law - Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy
Shire is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
A little about us:
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.