Director, R&D - Translational Medicine, Oncology
If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions - join us.MedImmune
is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Director or Senior Director, Respiratory Science R&D, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
We're constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We're pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we're industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.The role:
We are seeking a dynamic thought leader in oncology translational medicine (TM) in our Gaithersburg, MD headquarters. The Director will provide exceptional scientific and strategic leadership in the application of genomics and genetics to understanding molecular heterogeneity of cancer and applying this knowledge to aid development of MedImmune's exciting late stage immuno-oncology portfolio.
The Director will be expected to represent TM on the global project team for late stage products immuno-oncology products including durvalumab and tremelimumab and lead a cross-functional team of lab-enabled scientists / Sr. scientists and bioinformatics analysts to mine Next-Gen Sequencing and other genomic data from clinical and external collaborations to identify predictors of response and develop understanding of MOA. In addition, the Director will be expected to publish high profile manuscripts and help establish scientific leadership for MedImmune.
This is an important, high profile and visible role and requires an individual with outstanding communication and leadership skills, as well as the ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders in Clinical Oncology, other relevant functions within MedImmune and external KOLs and academic collaborators. The individual must also be viewed as a strong scientific and strategic leader, one who can readily bridge between a cutting edge Research environment and a fast-paced clinical and product development organization. The successful candidate is expected to drive the publication of biomarker data in top-tier scientific or medical journals and present at national and international conferences.
Strong leadership skills are required. A good understanding of the drug development process, from lead identification through clinical trials, are necessary. Previous industry experience with a record of effective project leadership is a plus. The successful candidate should be able to work productively in a matrix team environment. Excellent written, oral, presentation and interpersonal skills are important.Qualifications:
- Outstanding record of innovative contributions to biomarkers/translational sciences / cancer genomics as evidenced by a strong publication record including first / senior-authored publications in top-tier journals, inventorship on crucial patents/filings and presentations at important conferences are a must for this role
- Ideally experienced in clinical drug development, including advanced understanding of critical development functions, e.g. Discovery, Clinical Sciences, Biomarker Development, Translational Medicine, Biostats
- Ideally, at least eight years of prior experience managing a group of research associates, scientists or leading cross-functional teams.
- The candidate must be a high output leader. Commits to goals and delivers results.
- Strong and inspirational leadership skills and the ability to work and lead in a matrix team environment.
- The ideal candidate must have great organizational skill and be an effective communicator with all functions and levels within MedImmune. He/she must be highly effective in interacting with key external organizations and partners.
- Must possess outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to cogently deliver scientific information and proposals to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to attract, develop, and retain top-quality scientific talent.
- MD, PhD/MD or PhD degree in a relevant scientific field (e.g. Oncology, pathology, molecular biology, cell signaling, cancer genetics, cancer biology, molecular oncology)
- Minimum of 12 years post-MD/PhD experience in an academic and/or industry setting
Next Steps - Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them. AstraZeneca/MedImmune is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca/MedImmune will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.