New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, and is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. At year end 2013 New York Life had a total surplus of $21.141 billion and holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa ; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 6/18/14)
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for nearly 170 years.
*Based on revenue as reported by “Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual),” Fortune Magazine, May 20, 2013. See http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2013/faq/ for methodology
We are seeking a relationship manager with platform business development experience to join the Research Platform Group. The Research Platform Group is responsible for growing the firm’s presence in research-driven platforms and models across all investment services firms in the industry. The position will be based in our headquarters in New York City.
A Director in the Research Platform Group is responsible for identifying research coverage and model allocation opportunities across a wide range of products offered by MainStay Investments including mutual funds, ETFs, and SMAs. A key part of the role is to provide dedicated support to mutual fund analysts and to develop a tailored relationship to fully support their manager research efforts across all of our investment boutiques.
We are looking for candidates that are client-focused, detail-oriented and have an established track record of building relationships. Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, are required as well as advanced investment knowledge across asset classes and product structures. Candidates should be self-starters, able to work independently but also work collaboratively with various teams across the organization.
Specific responsibilities will include, but are not be limited to:
• Creating actionable plans geared towards developing new and strengthening existing research analyst relationships to help grow the firm’s platform and model presence. Presenting to due diligence analysts and actively driving processes from inception to completion.
• Produce whitepapers, manager research, and competitive analysis reports on internal and external strategies.
Contribute to the group’s annual sales goal through new product placements in asset allocation models and portfolio reallocations.
• Driving all aspects of the research engagement process, coordinating ongoing PM and CPM interactions, developing proactive outreaches to analysts, and ensuring timely completion of requests.
• Creating a strategic approach to managing client engagement and their needs, targeting specific number of client and prospect meetings on a monthly basis.
• Working closely with the Investment Management teams and Marketing to help provide investment updates and detailing investment style/process, portfolio strategy and recent performance.
• Building a strong pipeline of new platform opportunities and ensuring timely follow-ups at each stage.
• Organizing and coordinating research analyst due diligence meetings with investment boutiques.
• Position and differentiate products within our product line relative to leading peers on platforms.
• Engaging with internal business partners to effectively communicate platform updates and development opportunities.
Qualifications / Requirements
• At least ten years investment experience with minimum five years of working with analysts in manager research teams. Former manager research or securities research experience a plus.
• A demonstrated and established ability to build relationships across firms.
• Solid knowledge of the investment industry with strong skills in marketing investment products to institutional-type buyers.
• A demonstrated track record for building relationships across firms and growing platform presence.
• Possess strong leadership qualities, have a natural sense of urgency in pursuing opportunities, and be results-oriented.
• Proven communication and presentation skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and organization skills.
• Willingness to travel.
• Undergraduate degree required; MBA degree or CFA designation strongly preferred. CFA level 3 candidates will also be considered.
• FINRA Series 7 required.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.