Director, Service Design, Adaptive Path @ Capital One
The Capital ONE Design team is a diverse team of human-centered designers charged with disrupting how people interact with their money, their bank, and their financial lives. We are change agents bringing new design capabilities to an organization serving 60 million customers. We are thought leaders engaging the greater design community through speaking, teaching, and writing.
As part of Capital One, the Adaptive Path Service Design Practice partners on highly strategic projects across multiple business units and innovation labs. Our practice specifically focuses on service experiences, applying craft to both front and back stage, while coaching non-designers on the mindset and methods of service design. Our work results in more human and valuable service experiences delivered through thoughtfully designed and sustainable operations. In 2017, we will continue to develop service design capabilities across the organization, while focusing our own design practice on core service experience patterns.
We have identified six of these core service patterns which repeat across Capital One's lines of business. A key way in which we will demonstrate the value and impact of service design is by beginning to normalize these patterns. We will create a platform model across the organization to enable cohesive end-to-end experiences across product, process, and systems, with the end result being an exceptional customer experience. You will play a key part in shaping our approach and guiding our teams toward success.
In this role, you will:
- Partner closely with our design team and business partners to integrate a service design mindset and methodology into the ONE Design practice, and in particular build the six service patterns
- Spread the methods and mindset of service design to the greater enterprise
- Coach small service design teams as they deepen their knowledge of the business and operating models of our lines of business and Enterprise. Guide your teams toward a successful approach to the six service patterns
- Based on your partnerships and deep understanding of the business, determine the opportunities and readiness of groups across the company to employ a service design approach and which service patterns to target first
- Collaborate with our Creative Director on developing a system for capturing knowledge as work is happening across the company
- Along with our Design Management practice, help us connect the dots across Capital One to create more holistic end-to-end service experiences, resulting in measurable improvements to key business metrics
- Partner with executives, leaders, and other stakeholders to define smart strategies that align business, customer, and associate needs
- Craft and lead others in crafting project approaches that challenge the status quo and lead to highly valuable and impactful design solutions
- Help hire key service design experts across the company and nurture a broad community of practice
- Manage a team of 3–5 direct reports and a larger team of indirect reports
What You Bring:
- You have deep service design chops with a particular emphasis on business; you understand business frameworks and systemic strategic work; you can spot opportunities to gain operational efficiencies, increase customer engagement, and unlock new revenue opportunities. People come to you for your business acumen
- You have a track record of thought leadership that includes conferences, teaching, and practice building
- You have successfully led the design of multi-channel product or service experiences
- You know how to lead inspired, effective practices and project teams that engender professional growth and make people clamor to work with you again
- You have mastery of core service design methods and can coach designers and non-designers to participate in a service design practice and process
- You have a consultative approach and an infectious collaborative nature
- You have confidence and pride in your leadership, skills, experience, and expertise (i.e., you are awesome and you know it)
- Directly managing and mentoring a team, examples and references that demonstrate your ability to successfully lead others
- Proven ability to identify and track the business impact of a given initiative across the company
- Ability to travel 25%
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design, or military experience
- More than 10 years of professional experience designing digital products and multi-channel services
- Master’s Degree in Design
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.