In January 2016, MetLife announced a plan to pursue separation of a substantial portion of its U.S. Retail segment. The new company would represent, as of September 30, 2015, approximately 20% of the operating earnings of MetLife and 50% of the operating earnings of MetLife's U.S. Retail Segment. The new company would have approximately $240 billion of total assets with its largest operating company, MetLife USA being one of the largest life insurers in the U.S. with GAAP equity of approx. $12 billion as of September 30, 2015, similar in size to Lincoln Financial.
The new company will be focused on securing clients' financial futures by providing the best value, advice based solutions. Building upon the current U.S. Retail culture, the new company will be guided and operated by a common set of values that will focus on accountability, external and customer focus, collaboration and a strong focus and discipline on cost management.
Reporting directly to the Treasury Operations Leader, this position is responsible for defining the strategy, providing oversight, and managing the shareholder services outsourcing arrangement. This position requires interaction with senior management serving as the shareholder services subject matter expert for Brighthouse Financial ("BHF"). Additionally, this position will play a critical role in establishing and maintaining external relationships with shareholder services vendors to meet the quality requirements and strategic goals of BHF. Job Location
United States : North Carolina : Charlotte Job Description
- In coordination with BHF senior leadership, define the shareholder services strategy in alignment with industry standards and financial objectives
- Lead implementation of a shareholder services outsourcing strategy, including establishing a strategic relationship with the vendor, defining service level requirements, coordinating contract negotiations, and deploying the outsourcing arrangement
- Establish relationships with counterparts at other companies and develop an understanding of shareholder services leading practices to help BHF meet its shareholder service needs in a cost-effective manner and deliver high-quality service to a shareholder base of over 3 million shareholders
- Establish the relationship between BHF and shareholder services providers, manage this relationship on an ongoing basis, and proactively identify potential risks or issues
- Oversee BHF's compliance program with respect to relevant provisions of each states' unclaimed property statutes, i.e., the collection and reporting of abandoned property
- Develop, monitor, and update operational controls for all activities related to shareholder services including but not limited to SOX compliance and the company's related risk management policies
- Provide leadership and logistical support for the annual shareholders meetings
- Lead the efforts to identify opportunities for and execute initiatives to improve efficiency, reduce costs, and increase shareholder engagement
- Develop and implement critical shareholder services policies and procedures
- Develop, prepare, and manage annual forecasting and budgeting activities for annual shareholder services expenses of over $12M
- Ensure timely collection and reconciliation of data for securities filing and other regulatory reporting to the SEC, NYSE, and senior management
- Support various internal initiatives
- Perform other related activities as required
- 10+ years of related Treasury or Finance experience in a public or private company environment; 3+ years of experience in outsourced shareholder services arrangements
- Progressively responsible experience involving the management of relationships with third-party services providers or providing business services to clients
- Industry leading knowledge of financial markets and economics
- Excellent communication, relationship-building, and project management skills with the ability to persuade, negotiate, and arbitrate to influence others to effect change and achieve desired results.
- Skillful management of relationships with people up, across and down the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to consider multiple views while making business decisions
- Shareholder services experience is a plus
- MBA, CPA, and/or CFA strongly preferred
- Insurance industry experience preferred
- Undergraduate degree in business, accounting, finance or related field
Treasury Number of Openings
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace. Note to Mobile Users: If viewing on a mobile device and would like to apply, please email the job to yourself and complete the application from a desktop/laptop. Note to Desktop/Laptop Users: For immediate consideration, click Apply Now button below. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile which takes 10 - 15 minutes to complete. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job. Internal Use Only: 13M