Position: Director/AVP Fund Management
Job Location: Whippany, NJ
This position within Fund Management will be responsible for managing and leading the US Fund Management team that provides analysis, oversight and evaluation of MetLife’s US Separate Account investment managers. This position will also have a key role reviewing, preparing and presenting manager proposals for approval to the Fund Management Oversight Board.
- Manage and lead the day-to-day oversight and analysis of MetLife’s US Separate Account investment managers
- Provide guidance and team leadership that ensures the highest quality asset stewardship and outcomes in support of MetLife’s Separate Account assets and business partners.
- Evaluate and develop team expertise, ensure adequate staffing, provide career path enhancement and develop specialties as appropriate.
- Oversee frequent ad-hoc assignments and research projects, including periodic benchmarking exercises, asset reviews, portfolio transitions and reporting.
- Unit Strategy and Development
- Work with the head of Fund Management Oversight in developing, formalizing and refining best in class operating policies, governance structure, procedures and protocols.
- Develop US Fund Management goals and metrics for success.
- Initiate and support team’s continual process improvements.
- Support and partner with internal (e.g., compliance, risk, legal, insurance) and external (e.g., asset managers, auditors, data and system providers and custodial banks) constituents in order to meet business objectives.
- Gather market intelligence through industry-wide conferences and discussions with industry practitioners, economists and service providers.
- Evaluate new systems, vendors, service providers and resources as needed.
- Manager Selection
- Quantitative screening (e.g., performance evaluation, risk analysis, style consistency, peer group / benchmark comparisons).
- Qualitative evaluation (e.g., management/organization, personnel, culture, etc.).
- Monitor and evaluate industry and market trends.
- Manager Oversight
- Review / analyze portfolio performance including: performance relative to benchmark / peers, quantitative independent analysis such as risk adjusted returns, regime specific performance, performance attribution by style, market cap, region, sector and factor.
- Review portfolio characteristics for meaningful concentrations, exposures and biases.
- Assist with manager due diligence meetings including: reviewing organization, team, processes and risks.
- Monitor fund families and manager headlines for news events; report on business impact, concentrations and concerns.
- Fund Management Oversight
- Review and prepare written board memorandum, recommendations and presentations for the oversight Board.
- Review investment guidelines and evaluate modifications for new security types and investment techniques.
- Assist with asset management relationships for issues impacting the business (for example, management fees).
- 10+ years of investment experience; including a minimum of 10 years conducting Investment Manager Oversight and Selection gained through relevant pension / endowment / foundation / sovereign wealth fund / investment consulting / private wealth experience
- MBA and/or CFA preferred, other investment certifications a plus
- Strong quantitative and technical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Organized, detail-oriented and able to prioritize multiple projects
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate and drive results from team members
- Working knowledge of multiple investment strategies and asset classes
- Ability to work effectively with others across multiple departments, teams and levels
- Proficiency with investment analytics (e.g. Bloomberg, POINT, BondEdge, eVestment, Morningstar, Lipper)
- Thinks Strategically – Sets direction aligned to the company’s strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Motivates People – Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the company’s vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
- Creates Partnerships – Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Seizes Opportunity – Seeks new opportunities and ways to create balanced business growth while improving operational capabilities.
- Grows Talent – Inclusively and pro-actively develops talent, empowers individuals and manages diverse teams to drive engagement and performance.
- Models our Values – Creates a culture that promotes the company’s values and standards through role modeling, accountability and ownership of decisions.
- Focuses on Customers – Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
- Drives Results – Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
- Reports to: VP Index Strategies and Fund Management
- Direct reports/team: 4-5
- Key Stakeholders: Retirement Investments Services, Investments
MetLife, through our subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the largest life insurance companies in the world. Founded in 1868, we are a global provider of life insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management. Our employees serve approximately 100 million customers, individuals and businesses, including over 90 of the FORTUNE 100®.
We are ranked #40 on the Fortune 500 list and #48 on the Forbes Global 500 list. We have operations in nearly 50 countries, and hold leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. We are also one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with an over $500 billion general account portfolio as of December 31, 2015.
In 2015, FORTUNE Magazine’s World’s Most Admired Company survey named us #1 in the Life and Health Insurance industry. In 2016, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the first time. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies.
While we have tremendous respect for the past, we are a company firmly focused on the future. To adapt to a changing world, we are undergoing one of the most dramatic transformations in our history to reinvent how we do business so we can thrive in any environment. We are moving away from a traditional product-development model to one driven by customer insights. We are challenging historical norms by humanizing our industry and designing every customer experience to reflect the modern company we’re becoming. Our goal in everything we do is to offer customers truly differentiated value propositions that allow us to establish clear competitive advantages. We pride ourselves on being a trusted partner to our customers as they navigate life’s twists and turns.
At the center of our business strategy is a commitment to One MetLife – collaborating, sharing best practices, and recruiting, developing and retaining the best talent in the industry. We live by our values: Put Customers First, Be the Best, Make Things Easier, and Succeed Together. They guide how we operate every day.
For more information, visit www.metlife.com.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, martial or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.