we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Director /Sr. Director, Medical Diagnostics - Oncology
you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. AstraZeneca's vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
The Director /Sr. Director, Medical Diagnostics - Oncology ensures the timely, high quality input into development and lifecycle plans, to support optimal in-market companion diagnostics / testing solutions to enable optimal treatment throughout the patient journey and to support patient access.
An important element of this role is therefore to develop strategic and long-term partnerships with relevant Oncology stakeholders and decision makers in the complex Oncology ecosystem including with the core medical teams, development organization and global medical teams, based on a deep scientific understanding of the testing environment and the pathology of the tumor/micro-environment and the medical and clinical operational issues on the disease and testing pathway, enabling the organization to help develop tailored testing solutions to be developed.Major Responsibilities
:Develop diagnostic medical strategy, deliver internal and external education
Support testing by impacting the testing environment
- Help develop, evaluate and deliver the national diagnostic strategy for the current and future Oncology products
- Generate diagnostics related insight to shape US input into the development and regulatory approach for the brand and product during development, and LCM brand strategy and tactics
- Monitor scientific and medical landscape and continue to optimize plans for diagnostic related needs
- Ensure in-market companion diagnostics / testing excellence for all product launches, including market readiness evaluation to inform go/no go decisions
- Deliver education to internal stakeholders
- Lead team of diagnostic medical liaisons
Develop strategic partnerships
- Support in-market registration/regulatory approval of future companion diagnostics / other testing solutions as required
- Identify issues in current testing landscape and working with external stakeholders to develop solutions to remove or minimize diagnostic barriers to therapy use, e.g., by optimizing testing pathways
- Connectivity to external experts/advocacy/regulatory and pathway organizations to understand evolving landscape and anticipate future changes to US landscape
- Develop and help drive appropriate educational programs
- Utilise diagnostics related evidence for medical education activity (e.g., medical evidence, real-world evidence and epidemiology) and identify evidence gaps for either global or local plans to bridge, develop data generation approach in collaboration with Core Medical Teams, and ensure quality input into data generation approaches/proposals.
- Develop scientific leadership with companion diagnostics partners, advocacy, scientific organizations and thought leaders across oncology to help inform and develop best in class diagnostics capabilities aligned with the medical needs of the portfolio. Identify and collaborate with national diagnostic and clinical opinion leaders, societies to identify, design and execute appropriate activities to optimise the provision of diagnostics associated with the respective brands
- Help remove barriers to testing through collaborative partnerships with diagnostic companies, lab networks, KOLs and Health Care Professionals (HCPs)
- Advanced medical degree (molecular pathologist preferred)
- 7+ years of experience in health care deliver ; including US experience and preferably oncology diagnostic or clinical lab experience, pharmaceutical experience is a plus
- Proven experience with a broad base of external experts including prescribers, payors, providers and track record of effective management of decision-making bodies and governance
- Deep understanding of diagnostic FDA environment, clinical laboratory practices including CLIA lab requirements and test implementation
- Proven track record of strategic thinking, judgment and influencing skills, i.e., influencing national internal teams and customers to ensure strong commercial focus with excellent execution
- Proven track record of developing compelling business cases
- Strong leadership attributes to set direction, generate commitment, balance short and long term needs, constructively resolve issues
- Proven demonstration of effective cross-functional project team leadership
- Ability to lead and influence through change
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills
Next Steps - Apply today!To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
A little about us:
MedImmune is the global biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca