Please note that the requirements specified in this posting are the basic qualifications required for the Director Business Development position; however, job title will be dependent on the candidate's level of experience in those requirements. OBJECTIVES:
- The CEI Transactions team is responsible for working closely with relevant Therapeutic Area Units (TAUs), DDUs and the Oncology Business Unit (OBU) to (i) develop a business development (BD) strategy consistent with TAU and OBU strategies, (ii) identify and triage BD opportunities consistent with the agreed strategy and (iii) lead cross-functional teams to execute on acquisition, in-licensing and externalization opportunities across the R&D pipeline and Oncology commercial portfolio.
- The primary responsibility of the Director position will be to lead R&D alliance and externalization projects for the the CNS, Regenerative Medicine and Externalization (CRE) Transactions team, with responsibilities as outlined below.
Qualifications EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Identify, evaluate and transact BD opportunities that meet the scientific needs of the CRE Therapeutic Area (TA).
- In partnership with CRE team scientific leads, identify and assess platform, discovery, preclinical and clinical opportunities aligned with CRE TA strategy.
- In partnership with project manager(s), lead cross-functional technical evaluation and due diligence on "buy-side" transactions.
- In partnership with BD Legal, lead negotiations on behalf of the CRE TA for "buy-side" and certain externalization transactions.
- Prepare and present to senior management materials necessary for approval from applicable governance committees.
- Act as a thought partner to the CNS TAU head and ensure the External Innovation strategy is aligned and supported. Challenge the CNS TAU to think creatively with respect to external innovation.
- Maintain current knowledge of:
- Specific CNS and RM products, platforms, targets, and therapeutic approaches
- Industry trends for deal-relevant finance, tax, regulatory, legal, IP and commercial issues
- Takeda's overall R&D portfolio, including gaps and strengths
- Takeda's commercial and specialty business units and key stakeholders
- Establish and maintain a broad network of relationships with potential licensors worldwide; liaise effectively with other individuals in Global Business Development and leverage the Takeda organization at large (scientists, clinicians, commercial managers in CNS and other therapeutic areas).
- Be an effective ambassador for the Takeda global business development brand to ensure Takeda is perceived as a "Partner of Choice" with academic insitutions and industry. Articulate Takeda's external innovation strategy and practices in public forums, such as partnering meetings, speaking engagements, etc
- Over 10+ years experience in the Pharma/Biotech industry; prior experience in a business development capacity, including pharmaceutical/biotech R&D, pharmaceutical/biotech equity analysis, management consulting, venture capital, or investment banking experience
- Ph.D., M.D. or equivalent degree is required; alternatively a Master's degree in a relevant scientific discipline plus over 12 years relevant professional experience is acceptable
- Successful track record in leading negotiations (first chair) and closing deals
- Experience leading teams and influencing cross-functional groups, including members of senior leadership.
- Deep understanding of the drug development, approval, and commercialization process
- Demonstrated clinical, biological/pharmacological research, or professional experience in the therapeutic area is required.
- Must demonstrate the scientific knowledge and gravitas to help drive external innovation strategy within the organization and hold/drive meaningful discussions externally with Pharma/Biotech executives and key opinion leaders.
- Excellent understanding of processes, interfaces and interdependencies between drug development and commercialisation.
- A well established business development network within CNS is strongly preferred along with a progressive knowledge of innovative alliance structures, industry trends and competitive issues related to pharmaceutical business development.
- Creative, results oriented self-starter with the ability to deliver high quality deliverables on time that are appropriate for review by senior management.
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including a demonstrated ability to be effective in a matrix environment.
- Location: Cambridge, MA
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required.
- Requires approximately 30-40% travel.
we are driven to improve people's lives www.takedajobs.com Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please. *LI-CS1-USA Schedule
A little about us:
Takeda fosters an inclusive environment where all employees are empowered to shine.