Director, SW Engineering-Dell Commerce Services
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Posted: November 10, 2017
Reference ID: R18025
Why Work at Dell?
Endless challenges and rewards. Opportunities on six continents. A team of colleagues fueled by collaboration. All this, and a company deeply committed to integrity and responsibility.
Software Engineer Director - Austin, TX
Are you looking for a role that touches millions of customers and drives multi-billion dollar businesses? Do you like working in small, empowered teams that have complete ownership of their space? Do you want to drive technology as well as culture change? If so, Dell Technologies is looking for software engineers, product managers, and user experience designers to deliver a commerce platform that enables Dell to meet our customers wherever they are and provide the best experiences on Earth to discover and purchase Dell technology. This transformation program has three primary goals:
Establish a modern, global, cloud-based, omni-channel commerce platform.
Enable new capabilities, and seamless user experiences across product, marketing, commerce, and services. New capabilities and experiences include, but are not limited to, personalized mobile & web purchasing, AR driven sales and support, voice-enabled purchase assistance, and support for Internet of Things (IoT).
Empower all Dell Technologies businesses to utilize and build on the core commerce platform to create experiences to meet their customer and business needs.
- Lead the development of online products for one of the largest online retailers in the world
- Lead a talented Software Engineering organization to deliver innovative, high quality products on a foundation of architectural and engineering excellence
- Responsible for hiring top candidates and building great teams
- Maintain a strong culture of innovation, creativity, and fun
- Provide leadership and mentor in engineering best practices, including agile development methodologies, service architectures, and design patterns
- Responsible for ensuring stability and performance of the products are best in class. This includes accountability for performance, availability management and capacity planning
- Communicate and translate vision/strategy to staff. Responsible for executing on functional and business goals for the group
- Must be a strong technical decision maker
- Responsible for solving highly technical and complex problems for several programs and projects
- Leads the implementation of a rigorous engineering excellence process and platform improvement initiatives
- Passionate about the customer experience, and ensure every visit is a great experience
- 10+ years of experience in Software Product Development, preferably in online
- Strong technical background, and experience in building next generation reference architectures and solutions to enable business strategies
- In-depth knowledge and experience in Digital Commerce with a proven track record
- Experience in a large global and multi-channel environments, with experience in omni-channel strategy and execution
- Detailed understanding of the current digital commerce ecosystem including the macro-economic environment, industry trends, emerging technologies and disciplines
- Strong track record in building high performing organizations with a focus on people development and empowered teams
- Experience managing and optimizing operation and program budgets
- Data driven and with a detailed knowledge of digital analytics
- Ability to take part in code reviews with ability to drive architecture and design discussions and decide on final solutions
- 8+ years people management experience with demonstrated exp in building and motivating large global teams
- Strong organizational planning and development, business judgment, influential skills and technical leadership
- Experience in services and support, and working knowledge of end-user/customer experience
- Strong communication and relationship skills
- Industry knowledge of the retail and eCommerce space, with a keen interest in keeping up to date on the latest trends in this space
- Knowledge of other Marketplace platforms
- Experience on SCRUM methodology and operation in an AGILE development environment
- Experience with establishing processes, controls, risk management and resource allocation
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
Dell is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell encourages applicants of all ages.
Job Family: Information Technology
Job ID: R18025