Director, Tax Audits & Controversy (Job Number: 024581)
Deerfield Corp North - 300 WILMOT RD
300 WILMOT RD
This is a very exciting time at Walgreens. We're taking our products and services to the four corners of the world as part of the Retail USA division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. Walgreens Boots Alliance was formed through the combination of Walgreens and Europe's Alliance Boots in December 2014, bringing together two leading companies with iconic brands, complementary geographic footprints, shared values and a heritage of trusted health care services dating back more than 100 years each.
Today, Walgreens is the neighborhood drugstore and retailer that makes health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And, we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment.
Join us at Walgreens and find yourself at a place where innovation thrives and incredible career and growth opportunities await. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment and be part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, employees, and the communities we all call home. Job Summary
The Director, Tax Audits & Controversy is responsible for representing Walgreens on all Federal income tax, State income tax and Sales and Use tax audit matters and controversies, including (1) strategizing and negotiating audit settlements, (2) drafting and reviewing all legal documents submitted to the IRS, and State tax authorities including responses to notices of proposed adjustment and information document requests, (3) developing tax protest, appeals and litigation strategies, and (4) managing and hiring outside counsel, public accountants, and third party tax advisors to assist on complex IRS examination issues, State tax issues, Sales & Use Tax issues, and tax protests and real estate and personal property tax appeals.
Responsible for developing innovative solutions to mitigate Walgreens' overall tax risk and maximize Walgreens' overall tax savings through the audit settlement process, and by providing vision and direction to the tax compliance and tax planning teams to minimize potential future audit issues.
Responsible for directing the FIN 48 tax reserve determination process as it relates to federal and State income tax audit issues and for updating senior management on the status of Walgreens' federal tax audit matters. Responsible for Directing ASC 450 reserves for Sales & Use tax reserves. Job Responsibilities
- Provides direction to the federal, state and Sales and Use tax audit function and partners with the tax compliance, tax planning, and tax credits and incentives teams to minimize Walgreens' overall tax liability, reduce Walgreens' effective tax rate, and enhance Walgreens' cash flow.
- Represents Walgreens on all federal, state and Sales and Use tax audit matters and controversies with the IRS and State tax authorizes and negotiates all federal, state and sales and use tax audit settlements at both the examination and appeals levels. Develops innovative approaches to favorably settle federal state and sales and use tax audits and legally minimize Walgreens' federal income tax, employment tax, and excise tax liabilities. Responsible for real and personal property tax appeals and settlements.
- Directs the preparation of all legal documents submitted to the IRS and state/city tax authorities audit and appeals teams in response to information document requests and notices of proposed adjustment.
- Directs the preparation of tax protests of unagreed IRS audit examination issues, state and local examination issues and directs the development of appeals and litigation strategies. Manages outside counsel, public accountants, and other third party tax advisors to assist on complex IRS and State and Local examination issues and tax protests and appeals. Also directs strategies for sales and use tax issues as well as real and personal property tax issues.
- Provides strategic direction to the federal, state and local tax compliance and employment tax teams on tax return to maximize deductions and minimize Walgreens' tax liabilities.
- Provides strategic direction to the tax planning team on proposed transactions and tax planning strategies, initiatives, and acquisitions to reduce Walgreens' overall tax liabilities.
- Provides direction in the determination of Walgreen's FIN 48 and ASX 450 tax reserves for financial reporting purposes as it relates to potential IRS audit issues.
- Provides senior management with monthly updates on the status of federal, state and sales and use tax audits, tax protests/appeals and potential audit litigation issues as well as real and person property tax appeals.
- Leads, develops, mentors, and coaches approximately 19 team members assisting on the federal, state and local tax audits as well as real and personal property tax teams. Provides clarity around complex tax issues and procedures, audit documentation requirements, and tax minimization and audit defense strategies.
- As a member of the Tax Department tax leadership team, provides leadership and guidance on overall management policies and procedures of the Tax Department, including resource allocation and employee evaluations.
Qualifications Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or Economics and at least 8 years of experience in public accounting, corporate tax and/or accounting at a firm, government agency or company with sales in excess of $1 billion. OR High School Diploma/GED and at least 11 years of experience in public accounting, corporate tax and/or accounting at a firm, government agency or company with sales in excess of $1 billion.
- At least 8 years of experience in federal income taxes, reviewing/preparing federal tax returns, researching and interpreting technical tax laws and regulations.
- At least 6 years of experience in the federal tax audit area, responding to information document requests and interacting with IRS Agents.
- At least 6 years of experience executing tax strategy based on the key objectives and goals of the Company.
- Experience with MS Office Suite.
- At least 5 years of experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expenses and capital budgets.
- At least 5 years of experience directly managing people, including hiring, developing, motivating, and directing people as they work.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- CPA, JD or Master's Degree in Taxation.
The training you received, the discipline you embraced, and the responsibilities you held in the military will serve you well at Walgreens.