Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind - making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa's sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.Job Description
Visa is seeking a motivated candidate for a Director on the Technical Accounting and SEC Reporting team, which is part of the Global Controllership organization. This is an individual contributor role on a team of 8, reporting to the Assistant Corporate Controller. The Technical Accounting and SEC Reporting team is responsible for the accuracy and integrity of Visa's financial accounting and reporting and for setting policies to govern the proper accounting for all Visa's transactions under U.S. GAAP. This team works closely with Visa's senior management to assess the accounting implications for Visa's core and emerging products, business initiatives and strategic alliances. The Technical Accounting and SEC Reporting team works in a collaborative manner and the ideal candidate will have strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP, experience with SEC reporting at a large public company, and a willingness to share experiences and provide views on a broad range of accounting issues, which is critical to the success of the team. Development opportunity to become a subject matter expert for all of Visa's critical accounting areas.
- Act as Visa's subject matter expert for designated accounting policies.
- Evaluate business transactions for proper U.S. GAAP accounting treatment and prepare thoroughly researched and well thought-out technical memos to support the accounting for such transactions.
- Prepare and/or review financial statements and footnote disclosures for 10-Qs and 10-K.
- Evaluate the impact of new accounting standards, prepare an assessment paper and execute the implementation.
- Partner with stakeholders to operationalize accounting policies.
- Provide on-going technical accounting training to the Finance organization.
- Incorporate and maintain SOX controls within the Technical Accounting and SEC Reporting function.
Success in this role will be measured by work product and demonstrated competencies.
- Short-term success (3-6 months) includes:
- understanding and proficiency of designated accounting policies;
- proactive participation in analysis of accounting complexities;
- collaboration with team members;
- completion of assignments with accuracy and attention to detail;
- demonstrated time-management skills in order to meet quarterly reporting deadlines; and
- established working relationships with stakeholders.
- Long-term success (6 months to 2 years) includes:
- established as subject matter expert for designated accounting policies;
- ability to influence others;
- understanding of Visa's business and its unique accounting complexities;
- ability to explain complex accounting concepts to non-accountants;
- proven self-initiated problem solving skills;
- established leadership role amongst team peers and junior staff;
- contribute to setting the tone and direction of the Technical Accounting and SEC Reporting team to meet team goals and objectives, and provide guidance to junior staff on the team;
- forward-looking identification of potential issues and disclosure impacts when working with stakeholders.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field
- Certified Public Accountant
- 7+ years of public and private industry experience
- Thorough knowledge of U.S. GAAP, strong technical writing skills and experience in the implementation and handling of complex U.S. GAAP accounting matters with proven ability to research and clearly articulate and document complex technical accounting issues.
- Well-developed problem solving skills and ability to apply sound judgment in order to:
- facilitate problem identification;
- generate alternative solutions;
- adapt to changing situations; and
- manage issues to a successful resolution
- Ability to set and keep deadlines at a fast pace without losing accuracy.
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills with extensive experience managing multiple complex assignments simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills, including written and verbal communication, especially in developing positions and presenting to management, auditors, and non-accounting stakeholders.
Visa Core Competencies
- 4+ years of Big 4 Public accounting experience.
- Experience in the preparation of financial statements and footnotes for a publicly-traded company.
- Experience with M&A transactions, hedging and derivatives and share-based compensation.
- Strong project-managements skills.
- Confident self-starter who is flexible and embraces change.
- Strong at execution, follow-up and attention to detail.
- A team player, adept at building relationships across the organization.
Visa expects all employees to demonstrate core competencies reflecting our values and behaviors critical to our success. These competencies are also used to measure individual performance and how business goals are achieved.
Global Controllership Overview
- Drive Visa Capability: Champion a global mindset with regard to people, strategy, and action
- Execute Seamlessly: Generate a sense of urgency and inspire a strong commitment to achieving results
- Promote Stewardship: Protect the integrity of our relationship with clients, communities and employees, and be the guardian of our company assets
- Lead Boldly: Take principled personal and organizational risks to do what is right and achieve business success
- Cultivate Innovation: Envision and nurture new ideas and ways of doing things
- Model Collaboration: Actively build partnerships across the organization
Global Controllership ensures the integrity and accuracy of the consolidated Visa Inc. financial statements and local statutory financial statements around the world. We aim to do so by partnering and collaborating with the business and other Finance functions, providing excellent customer service, while also strengthening Visa's global financial control environment through effective operating policies, procedures and controls. We provide support to Visa's business operations in a broad range of functional areas including revenue and client incentive operations, financial close, technical accounting and SEC reporting, tax, and internal controls. Global Controllership is driven by its four core values. These core values reflect what is truly important to us as an organization. These are not values that change from time to time, situation to situation, or person to person, but rather are the underpinning of our company culture. Our four core values are: 1) Excellence in Execution; 2) Constant Enhancement; 3) Ownership; and, 4) Balance. The team of 300+ is largely represented in Foster City with local Controllership teams spread across multiple geographies, helping to drive greater control through cross-training and staff development, as well as greater efficiency through leveraging economies of scale. Additional Information
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
As a global company at the forefront of the electronic payments industry, Visa is a dynamic organization.