Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Global Professional Services Director
is responsible for overall category management on a global scale, either directly (for Global and International spend categories) or indirectly through strong collaboration with regional sourcing professionals (for Regional and Local spend). Annual spend in this category is in excess of $800M, and delivery of high quality procurement performance and capabilities is expected as part of Merck's global procurement strategy. Site Services spend is inclusive of Consulting Services, Financial Services, Legal Services, BPO Services and Translation Services. The Director will take an active role in team leadership, development of procurement strategies and interfacing with key and senior stakeholders to align the procurement / sourcing strategy with needed business requirements. The candidate must have demonstrated leadership within procurement and proficiency in the strategic sourcing processes and supplier relationship management of global suppliers. This position has the complexity of driving sourcing strategies and break through business solutions that require strong stakeholder management and sponsorship.
Primary activities include, but are not limited to:
- Leadership - As a procurement leader, participates in development and implementation of business strategy and ensures delivery of required business performance. The incumbent will be expected to act as an exemplar and role model, and deliver role model examples of good practice which can be shared and adopted throughout Merck.
- Sourcing Management - Adopt, lead, and implement Sourcing Management as a structured process creating and leading cross-functional teams.
- Strategy Creation - Work with cross-functional teams to create breakthrough strategies that generate a competitive advantage for Merck. Strategies must be innovative, deliver quick wins, and be integrated with Merck's overall diversity goals to leverage the capabilities of an inclusive supply base composed of minority-, female- and veteran- owned businesses.
- Sourcing - Lead the sourcing including RFX, RFP, and negotiations and contracting to put in place the right suppliers.
- Strategy Implementation - Proactively manage all aspects of implementation including entry and exit of suppliers and ensuing complex change management issues.
- Continuous Improvement - Ensure that supplier relationships are set up for future continuous improvement of cost down and cost out in line with Merck Performance Targets. Lead and manage the measurement and review process that ensures delivery of on-going improvement.
- Relationship Management - Work in a way that positively engages the support of senior stakeholders, using problem solving and proactive communication skills, to meet their business needs as well as those of Merck Procurement Mgmt.
- Supplier Management - Proactively manage global relationships with a select group of strategic suppliers, representing a majority of the category spend. Engage with supplier senior management driving significant value from the relationships.
- Business Requirements - Have a keen insight and understanding of business requirements on a 1-3-5 year horizon.
- Results and Performance - The incumbent will be a high quality achiever who gets the right things done ... in the right way.
- Project and Change Management - The complexity of categories and projects require high quality project and program management skills and a proven ability to manage change both internal and external through to successful completion.
- People Management - Responsibility for managing and developing a team of Sourcing Managers and Analysts.
- Required: BA/BS
- Preferred: BA/BS in Business, Finance, Engineering or related field strongly preferred.
- Preferred: MBA or advanced degree and/or relevant certification is desirable
- Minimum seven (7) years experience in strategic sourcing or related role.
- Experience in international business required.
- Professional Services category experience desirable.
- Leadership Skills demonstrated along by managing complex high level relationships/stakeholders.
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement