This high-visibility position is responsible for day to day transportation / operations management, service improvements, cost containment and compression. This should be achieved by helping to create new and enforce existing standard operating procedures (SOP’s), as well as tracking and implementing strategies to improve service. This individual is also responsible for managing costs, developing and maintaining an effective and involved workforce through performance leadership, education, communications and policies which support diversity and team effectiveness.
Work is typically conducted unsupervised with only direction given in terms of desired outcomes, as well as occasional team meetings. The right candidate will be able to understand the business strategy in order to execute key duties and responsibilities to meet goals and objectives. Must be able to re-define processes if needed and provide subject matter expertise when working on assignments that typically have high visibility for the organization. Must be able to collaborate with leadership to help formulate new policies and provide insight and feedback for training.
- Must have confidence and drive taking initiative and leading the team, both through giving direction and leading by example
- Partner with Customer Service, Sales and Operational Teams to ensure that all applicable goals and objectives are understood and met
- Lead team members and manage their performance through specific goals and targets
- Understand and effectively utilize the resources required to ensure that established objectives are met
- Provide strategic direction for implementing processes and metrics to meet operational and financial objectives
- Analyze available freight, carriers and modes to determine the most cost efficient move without jeopardizing customer requirements
- Negotiate positively to obtain the maximum gross profit percentage goal while executing to customer requirements
- Identify consistent capacity opportunities within our carrier base that overlap with consistent lane opportunities provided by our clients
- Manage carrier relationships with existing carrier base to insure optimum service levels while identifying and growing new relationships
- Responsible for the growth of key accounts including the definition, communication, and implementation of efficient and cost effective and reliable operational services
- Develop solutions to resolve root cause of problems with both internal and external processes and situations
- Provide education and mentoring necessary for carrier representatives to achieve goals
- Provide structure for Operations Supervisors and Team Leads when necessary
- Foster continuing employee development through daily interaction and regular reviews
- Educate operations, sales and clients on mode diversity along with market trends & seasonality
- Serve as a liaison and escalation contact between operations and other departments
- Collaborate with HR / Training as necessary to define training needs and provide feedback on courses, as well as assist with recruiting when appropriate
- Performs other related duties and participates in special projects as assigned
A little about us:
Join a company changing the fast-moving world of communications, where people like, link, pin, post and share. At RR Donnelley, we do it all.