Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with Monsanto. We are seeking a highly motivated Discovery Breeder
to be part of a multi-disciplinary breeding team. The Discovery Breeder is responsible for the envisioning what the future of corn breeding could be and test new breeding methodologies that would increase genetic gain. This could include new breeding techniques integrating genomics, novel statistical techniques, new molecular tools, or improvement in phenotypic assays.
The Discovery Breeder
will be part of an interdisciplinary team working to increase genetic gain and breeding methods. The candidate will work closely with line development breeders and scientists across the different organizations in Monsanto.
Twenty years from now, the earth's population will need 55% more food than it can produce now. Today, Monsanto is working with farmers around the world to do something about it. In over 60 countries, Monsanto has established industry-leading products because we give professionals the freedom to make real decisions. Monsanto is an Employer Of Choice with an outstanding professional development program and a history of building careers. Make an impact by joining the team that is working to solve one of mankind's greatest challenges. Responsibilities include:
- Overseeing a breeding and testing program that will lead to the development of improved varieties
- Innovating new breeding methodologies for incorporation of novel genetics
- Ensuring that all USDA regulatory and compliance protocols are followed
- Ensuring that the research team is trained and compliant with the Monsanto ESH safety policies to ensure safe operations of the research program
- Ph.D. in Breeding, Genetics, Physiology, Biology, or related disciplines
- Research experience in developmental or reproductive biology and physiology
- Research experience in molecular genomics
- Proficiency in experimental design and research record keeping
- Postdoctoral or industry experience of 3+ years
- Experience in crop systems or plant breeding
- Experience in quantitative genetics or statistical analysis, including use of software packages such as SAS or R
- Demonstrated technical ability to solve scientific problems using traditional and non-traditional approaches
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary groups and teams
- Ability to explain biological concepts to non-biologists in understandable terms
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.