The production agriculture environment is more challenging today than ever before. In this climate, maximizing profit on every acre is more important than ever. Making that happen takes an integrated approach that includes top tier genetics, innovative traits, novel chemistries, data science, biological solutions, and data generated in real-world situations that allows each grower to pick the perfect solution for every acre on their farm. The Discovery Breeding team works to drive innovation through the development of novel breeding methodologies, product concepts, and technology solutions for row crops with the goal to increase our overall rate of genetic gain.
You can expect to be integrated into our multi-disciplinary team to design, execute, and ultimately present on a project which provides a data-driven solution that enhances our ability to offer innovative products to the marketplace. As a part of the internship, you will be exposed to the same proprietary technology to which our researchers have access, have opportunity to work with our innovative scientists and plant breeders, and gain insight into the day-to-day responsibilities of our team members and the dynamic culture of Monsanto.
Daily activities may include:
- Data entry and analysis
- Data mining
- Data simulation
- Pipeline modeling
- Presenting results to broader teams
- Detail and results-orientation with the ability to work independently
- Strong motivational, organization and problem solving skills
- Outstanding communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with interdisciplinary teams
- Proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel
- Experience with modeling or simulation preferred, but not required
- Coding experience in Python or R preferred, but not required
- Current enrollment in degree program in genetics/genomics, plant breeding, data science, statistics or related field of study
- Sophomore standing or higher
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0/4.0
- Ability to relocate for the summer if necessary
- Personal transportation
- Must be returning to school to continue program of study immediately following summer internship
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.