At its founding in 1968, Nashville-based HCA was one of the nation's first hospital companies. Today, one of the nation's leading providers of healthcare services, HCA is comprised of locally-managed facilities that include more than 250 hospitals and freestanding surgery centers in 20 states and the United Kingdom, employing approximately 230,000 people. Approximately four to five percent of all inpatient care delivered in the country today is provided by HCA facilities resulting in more than 26M patient encounters each year. HCA is committed to the care and improvement of human life and strives to deliver high quality, cost effective healthcare in the communities we serve. Building on the foundation provided by our Mission & Values, HCA puts patients first and works to constantly improve the care we provide by implementing measures that support our caregivers, help ensure patient safety and provide the highest possible quality.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
- Ranked 63 in Fortune 500
- Competitive Fortune 100, industry matched salaries and yearly merit increase
- Computerworld Top 50 Best Places to Work in IT since 2009
- Named one of the "World's Most Ethical Companies" since 2010
- 106 HCA hospitals are on The Joint Commission's list of top performers on key quality measures
The Division Consulting Systems Engineer is responsible for the design, implementation, and support of various server based systems and storage technologies and solutions for HCA division-based facilities, remote clinics, and office buildings within the division. This position will manage data collection, reporting, and trending for all critical systems components and services, and will require collaboration with other technical resources in division and corporate IT&S to assess and take authorized action on anticipated improvements. The Division Consulting Systems Engineer assists in the diagnosis and resolution of the most complex Wintel based platform incidents and requests that require research and diagnosis, and recommends process changes that improve the implementation, maintenance and support of division and facility-based systems. This position actively participates in strategic planning and 24x7 on-call support with other members of division IT staff. The Division Consulting Systems Engineer provides local leadership, coordination, and communication for projects involving systems solutions. This includes, but may not be limited to, the design, implementation, and deployment of various systems technologies within the division. This position is responsible for defining scope of various division-based projects, ensures that all deliverables are met, and adheres to and supports HCA IT policies and procedures. This position is responsible achieving alignment and continuity between corporate and division-based business and IT strategies, leveraging existing systems investments and providing scalable options as business requirements necessitate a need for change. This requires the Division Consulting Systems Engineer to keep abreast of the latest systems and storage technologies, services, and components, actively facilitate communication between the division and corporate IT&S, and provide coordination to a team of virtual resources assigned to accomplish specific technical tasks. DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
Qualifications: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Provide local leadership, subject matter knowledge, coordination, and communication for projects involving systems and storage solutions, including defining scope, and ensuring deliverables are met.
- Ensure alignment and continuity between corporate and division-based business and IT strategies.
- Create business case proposals, analysis of technologies, financials, and proposed project plans.
- Create RFPs and conducts reviews/assessments, make vendor recommendations.
- Perform contract reviews and ensure risks are mitigated.
- Design, implementation, and deployment of various systems and storage technologies within the division.
- Participate in strategic planning; creation and maintenance of standards, policies, and procedures.
- Manage data collection, reporting, and trending for critical systems and storage devices and components.
- Coordinate a team of virtual resources assigned to accomplish specific technical tasks.
- Proactively address a change in business requirements by leveraging existing systems and storage investments, and providing scalable options.
- Provide 24x7 on-call support based on division IT staff rotation and carries a pager as warranted, to assist with the most complex troubleshooting, coordination, escalation, and resolution of systems or storage-based incidents, equipment failures, etc...
- Lead the build of technology operational models and work flows for the division.
- Provide strategic contingency planning from a division systems and storage perspective.
- Provide vendor management, service level definition and service level management for vendors of unique division systems and storage technologies and/or services.
- Ensure continuity of systems and storage service management plans with other IT&S infrastructure departments. Actively forecast workload, prioritize, and allocate resources.
- Conduct division-specific systems planning sessions, financial and budgeting analyses with regard to systems expenses.
- Conduct consultations with business partners, customers, and vendors, as warranted.
- Actively participate in division and corporate-sponsored technical seminars, planning sessions.
- Practices and adheres to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and "Mission and Value Statement"
- Mentors and trains division Sr. Systems Engineers and other Technical Services personnel as needed.
- Effectively works with division and corporate IT&S personnel to ensure that division priorities and standards are achieved.
- Coordinates and participates in regular division-wide meetings and workshops with facility technical staff to ensure timely transfer of knowledge which impacts HCA-approved systems and storage architecture and security policies.
- Adheres to and supports HCA IT&S standards, policies and procedures.
- Maintains and protects confidentiality with regard to all aspects of patient care and employee information.
- Adheres to Code of Conduct and Mission & Value Statement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Strong technical competencies in the following:
- In depth knowledge of supported operating systems (Windows server and VMware ESX), utilities, vendor products, applicable programming languages and scripting, diagnostic techniques, applicable communications protocols, applicable hardware configurations
- Must have 3 years experience in deploying technically complex infrastructure computing solutions across platforms and components.
- Experience with virtual technology, such as, Citrix, VMWare ESX, IBM LPARs, VIO servers, and micro-partitions.
- Experience with OS environment running one or more databases including SQL, Oracle, DB2.
- Ability to work with DBAs and understand their requirements is necessary.
- Previous application development coding, debugging, testing and delivery into a production environment.
- Ability to guide and direct activities for all storage related hardware and software including server related components (HBA, firmware, OS levels, maintenance levels, drivers, pathing software, and other host components.
- Strong competencies in the following:
- Leadership skills to establish and maintain business relations with technical resources, customers, business partners, vendors, and other IT&S personnel
- Change Management - High tolerance for Change
- Political Judgment - Involves all relevant stakeholders in major decisions; Strong facilitation skills; Utilizes approaches that foster ownership and minimize resistance
- Hands-on Approach - Acts as a role model for other technical resources; maintains subject matter depth and breadth; knowledgeable of current issues
- Makes decisions which are in the best interests of the business without succumbing to pressures
- Is available and accessible; Maintains a positive attitude
- Organization - Proactively prioritizes needs; Effectively manages resources
- Communication - Communicates complicated technical scenarios in common terms; Communicates clearly across a wide audience (oral and written communications)
- Customer Orientation - Establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, builds trusts and is respected by consistently meeting or exceeding expectations
- Motivate and challenge technical resources
- Problem Management
- Project Management
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office applications
- Bachelor's degree in information systems is preferred.
- 7 years experience with complex server/storage technologies
- MCSE and VIP or VCP required
- MCITP and relevant storage and applications delivery certifications - F5 Certified Systems Engineer, SCSP, SCSE, etc. preferred
- Valid state drivers license, proof of auto insurance, and reliable personal transportation capable of transporting both employee and standard work equipment
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom