The Hartford is looking for a Divisional Head of Binding for our Maxum line of business. This position will report to the Head of Maxum. He/she will be accountable for delivering both top-line and bottom-line growth for the Binding Division. He/she will develop and implement our underwriting appetite, design our underwriting approach and product structure, partner closely with a limited number of Managing General Agents (MGA's) to deliver profitable growth and own the long-term strategic plan for the Division.
This is an excellent opportunity for an outstanding individual who has the ability to:
- Drive The Hartford's penetration of the $8B market for small commercial E&S;
- Leverage The Hartford's and Maxum's reputation and existing capabilities to expand our appetite in non- admitted capabilities for General Liability, Property, Professional and Inland Marine;
- Create countrywide strategies to deliver profitable growth for Binding.
- Operationalize agent feedback and marketplace intelligence to further define the infrastructure, capabilities and invest needed to expand upon existing E&S capabilities for the Binding Division.
- In partnership with Maxum Sales and Product, oversee product development, underwriting, marketing and pricing dedicated to the Binding offering.
- Lead the development, management and communication of Binding underwriting policies. Lead the development of new or revised underwriting positions and appetite. Ensure underwriting guidance is regularly reviewed and maintained.
- Develop and manage relationships with MGA's to achieve gross written premium, profitability, rate, retention, product mix and new business production goals.
- Oversee MGA specific production plans, monitor performance to ensure profitable growth.
- Monitor line of business results and react quickly and effectively to growth and profit challenges.
- Lead and manage a staff of underwriters, product development/management (in partnership with Maxum Product) and support professionals charged with implementing, monitoring and managing a Binding offering.
- Coach, direct and mentor staff. Set clear objectives and goals; give appropriate feedback on progress and development needs. Attract and develop top talent for succession planning.
- 10 years of excess & surplus lines primarily in Binding Division, including at least 5 years of experience in a leadership position managing an underwriting organization and MGA's
- Demonstrated track record of profitability and growth on a national scale.
- Command of the E&S Binding market with property (including Tier I wind), liability, ancillary coverage experience with deep MGA relationships.
- Demonstrated aptitude for numerical and/or financial evaluation of business performance; knowledge of insurance financial and accounting statement and basic actuarial principles;
- Ability to manage large scale invest projects at the strategic level;
- Excellence leadership and influencing skills;
- Exceptional critical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Strong business acumen;
- Able to influence diverse teams and building strong business relationships;
- Solid planning and organizational skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Bachelor's degree required
- Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
- Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
- Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
- Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
The Hartford is an equal employment and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, ancestry or citizenship status, genetic information, pregnancy status or any other characteristic protected by law. The Hartford maintains a drug-free workplace and is committed to building inclusion and leveraging diversity.
A little about us:
HIRING VETERANS IS A PRIORITY FOR THE HARTFORD