Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world's leading clean, engine technology. We're also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Working Right .
Our Engine Business Unit delivers reliable, durable, high performing products to our global partners. Working in an innovative space, you'll develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Columbus, Indiana for a EBU Diagnostics Infrastructure - Technical Specialist. Cummins USA is where you can work on industry leading engineering projects such as New Product Development, Value Package Introduction and Systems Product Validation. Skills required:
Five or more years experience in a similar discipline.
This role resides within EBU Diagnostics Infrastructure team. Key responsibilities of this role:
- Support OBD features like fault handler and scan tool interface through non diagnostic feature list for various programs.
- Manage OBD development through 3 step process for calibration tuning and validation for fault handling and external tool interface.
- Manage training to global teams and functional teams within US on non diagnostic features.
- Manage fault configuration through OBD Template as per program architecture, OBD regulatory requirements and SAE specifications.
- Work cross functionally with program project leads, PC&C team, and stakeholders within EBU Diagnostics team like OBD leads, DSM, OBD test Team to ensure compliance of non diagnostic feature implementation with OBD regulatory and customer requirements.
- Understands the basics of synchronous/asynchronous serial communication as applicable to the CAN bus networking for data transmission between embedded control systems as well as communication between an embedded control system and external tools. Knowledge and application of the associated specifications such as data link connectors, OBD Scan Tool Requirements and Test, Diagnostic Trouble Codes, and Diagnostic Terms are a plus. CAN Communication Tools
- Understanding and/or experience with the use of CAN network tools like CANalyzer, CANoe, and PCAN Explorer and their application to network simulation, analysis, development, test, and trouble shooting are a plus. Your impact will happen in these and other ways
This may include one or more of the following:
- Applies specialized knowledge of engineering principles and practices to assigned tasks to develop and support activities in the area of electrical & electronics engineering.
- Developing the electrical and electronics specifications.
- Designing electrical and electronic systems and components.
- Analyzing and simulating electrical and electronic capabilities. Implementing and generating software.
- Verifying and validating controls, hardware, or software. Tuning controls. Releasing controls, hardware, or software.
- Troubleshooting controls, hardware, or software issues.
- Servicing and maintaining controls, hardware, or software. Managing
life-cycle obsolescence , Design and Analysis of Electric Generators/Alternators and motors, Electrical Circuit Design, Performance simulation of Electrical Power Systems. Electrical and Electronics includes all electrical and electronic elements within the system: Open and closed loop controls.
- Diagnostics and OBD. Algorithms. Electronic control modules and related microcontroller architectures. Electronic devices.
- Embedded software. Sensors and switches. Actuators, mechatronics, electric motors, alternators/generators, and relays. Ignition systems. Battery
systems. Electrical and Electronic tools and information products. Electrical and Electronic tool interfaces. Interconnects and harnesses.
- Datalinks and communication networks. Machine electronics interfaces. Typical roles include: Electrical and Electronics systems, Hardware, Software,Controls and diagnostics design and Electronic controls application.
- Applies technical expertise on complex components or projects with minimal supervision.
- Leads small projects or portions of large projects.
- Provides technical direction for a project or a project team.
- Participates as a key contributor and is accountable for project success.
- Influences at department or program management level.
- Provides input on program-related decisions.
- Proposes innovative initiatives and projects.
- Demonstrates depth of knowledge of engineering discipline(s) and leverages expertise on other projects.
- Troubleshoots complex problems and recommends appropriate actions.
- Assists with the transfer of knowledge; coaches and mentors less experienced engineers.
- Demonstrated results indicating deep knowledge of managing execution. Coordinates performance across regions, teams, and departments on complex projects and work flows. Applies a broad range of planning and monitoring tools. Defines planning and review practices that result in few missed milestones and minimal surprises. Effectively delegates to ensure completion of complex projects and work. Monitors progress of others and redirects efforts when goals change or are not met. Measures effectiveness of execution through defined metrics and disciplined monitoring.Analog Circuit Design
- Analog circuit design at Cummins focuses on electronic hardware for control and/or power conversion systems. A person with this skill designs/ analyzes: actuator driver, power supply, signal conditioning (digital), analog and frequency type sensors, and system power bus/ grounding. Has performed analog circuit design on several boards of moderate to high complexity and part count. Has knowledge and experience with analog tools and process. Routinely resolves circuit functional and performance issues with analysis, simulation, and testing.Digital Circuit Design
- Digital circuit design is the skill set necessary to understand, specify, analyze, and design digital electronic circuits or devices. Skills include: knowledge of bi-state digital components, ability to memory map devices to a microprocessor, ability to perform timing analysis, ability to design digital circuit boards of moderate complexity which involve analysis and schematic capture. A Hardware Engineer will have detailed knowledge and experience with the tools and processes of this field and could resolve circuit functional and performance issues with analysis, simulation, and testing.Harness & Interconnect Design
- Harness and interconnect design involves specification and selection of : connectors, wire gauge, length, routing, tie-down, and protection mechanisms. A harness designer will know principles, techniques, procedures, fail modes/symptoms and can repair, service, or select connectors with appropriate sub-components. Can perform harness / interconnect design effectively with minimum supervision, knows different connector systems used on Cummins' engines and can recommend the proper connector systems or cable type for specific applications. Familiar with the documents governing harness design or connector service.Mechanical Design & Performance Requirements
- This skill set describes the ability to understand, specify, and validate requirements for the design of electronic components. Knowledge expected: An understanding of how electronic designs
respond to mechanical environment conditions and methods required to validate designs for a specific environment. Understands the underlying principles, techniques, and procedures for mechanical design of electronic hardware. Able to
converse fluently with suppliers on subject matter. Design for Six Sigma
- At the core of Design for Six Sigma is a process based on critical parameter management and statistical management using a capability growth index. Obtained a trained Green Belt or trained Black Belt certification.Electronic Component Specifications
- The purpose of this skill is to provide high quality specifications for electronic components (e.g., electronic control modules, actuators, and sensors) that ensure our suppliers design and manufacture electronic components that delight our customers for reliability and cost. Also, ensure our customers' issues and concerns are addressed before the component is designed. Related skills include electromagnetic compatibility (EMC), mechanical environmental requirements, analog circuit design, and digital circuit design. Routinely defines and generates specifications for electronic components.Diagnostics
- The candidate has knowledge of the physical system being monitored, and skill in developing software to implement diagnostics. The candidate has knowledge of requirements, government regulation driven needs, service fault detection and isolation needs, and engine control / protection requirements. Can apply diagnostics for component health and for monitoring engine and subsystem performance (coolant temperature, oil pressure, EGR flow, turbo performance, etc.). Troubleshoot diagnostics problems, make minor diagnostics design changes, develops simple algorithms, calibrates algorithms
using tuning guide, performs testing against a test plan and prepares certification documentation.Electrical Environmental Requirements
- This skill involves the ability to understand, specify, and manipulate the characteristics of an electrical system with the goal of providing a system that will not be damaged or exhibit unacceptable performance during normal operation and potential failure modes. Skill users understand the underlying principles, techniques and procedures. Can
participate with component design teams (such as control module) in defining electronic environments.Embedded Software Design
- Embedded software design consists of aspects such as architectural design, abstract specification and interface design, component design, data structure design, and algorithm design. Uses embedded software design appropriately as part of work. Understands the underlying principles, techniques, and procedures. Creates appropriate design documentation for review.Microcontroller Architecture
- Understands the functions of the microcontroller and all of its sub-modules in sufficient detail to permit them to design a microcontroller into an electronic system. Capable of writing software programs for the microcontroller and its programmable sub-modules.- Familiar with detailed block diagram of Interface MCU to other hardware. Electromagnetic Analysis
- The ability to calculate and analyze electromagnetic fields is a fundamental requirement of this role. This requires an understanding of the principles governing the interaction of electrical and magnetic fields, generally determined by Maxwell's equations.An electromagnetic designer will be capable of designing and analyzing electromagnetically any topology of electrical machines. This will include the magnetic and electrical circuits of the stator and rotor, as well as the loss mechanisms associated with each of this circuits.The electromagnetic designer will be able to put this knowledge to practical use when analyzing, fault finding or improving existing electrical machines. The electromagnetic designer will have an understanding of the limitations and practicalities of interfacing the electromagnetic and mechanical components of an electrical machine. The tools required for this role are:-- Manual and Parametric Lumped Parameter Networks-- Two-Dimensional Finite Element Analysis-- Three-Dimensional Finite Elements AnalysisRotating Electrical Machines
- An understanding of the general theory of operation of rotating electrical machines. Also, an understanding of the practicalities of operation of a rotating electrical machine. Synchronous machines with wound field, salient and cylindrical rotors, induction machines - understanding of operation and function of induction machines, Permanent magnet machine- understanding of electrical machines with Permanent magnets as source of fieldAxial flux machines -understanding topology of axial flux machines and similarities and different from other topologiesOther specific types of electrical machines - fundamental similarities and difference of other types of electrical machines from the ones mentioned above, For example; Transverse flux machines, flux switching machines, switched reluctance machinesElectrical Circuit Design
- Understanding the principles of electric circuit theory - Ohm, Norton, Thevenin, Faraday, Lenz and practicalities of applying these theorems to products. Application of this to design and analyze winding in rotor and stator of electrical machines Execution of the winding diagrams based on the existing constructive elements. A.C. winding diagram interpretation. Design, redesign, D.C. concentrated coils execution, A.C. coils execution for low and high voltage.Performance Simulation
- Use of mathematic models and computer aided engineering/scientific design tools such as MATLAB/Simulink, MATH CAD etc to simulate steady state, dynamic and transient operation of an electrical machine.Electrical Power Systems
- Understanding of the principles of electrical systems in power generation industry, such as distributed/embedded power generation, conventional centralised power generation, islanded/standalone power system etc. Understanding for power generation, transmission, and distribution systems. Knowledge of power systems & analysis and how the electrical generator performance are influenced when they are connected to power systems. Education, Licenses, Certifications
College, University, or equivalent degree in Engineering required. Advanced degrees are preferred. Compensation and Benefits
Base salary commensurate with experience . Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits. Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cummins