Echo Technologist PRN
Fort Walton Beach Medical Center
Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is a 257-bed top-performing quality hospital with over 200 of the most highly respected and qualified physicians in the area. It is the only acute care hospital in the Tri-County area that offers open heart surgery, an Advanced Primary Stroke Center accredited by the Joint Commission and an Accredited Chest Pain Center. An affiliate of the UAB Cancer Community Network, Fort Walton offers a Cancer Care Center that is accredited by the Commission on CancerCommission on Cancer. Fort Walton Beach Medical Center also provides advanced care for critically ill patients, including cardiovascular and trauma injury care, and emergency services, including a main ER, Pediatric ER and Express ER. Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is in partnership with Twin Cities Hospital, located in Niceville. We are the parent company of the Destin Emergency Care Center (DECC) and the Rehabilitation Institute, both located on Airport Road in Destin.
1000 Mar-Walt Dr
Ft Walton Beach, FL 32547
This position is responsible for obtaining diagnostic cardiac ultrasound images in three modes. M mode, color flow Doppler and two-dimensional mode, and will follow the imaging protocol recommended by ICA. This position requires the individual to be registered by the Intersociety Accreditation for Echo Labs or an equivalent registry. This position will assist the physician with obtaining images during Transesophogeal Echo's. This position shows sound knowledge and proficiency in the use of diagnostic echocardiography techniques (both fixed and mobile) to assist in the diagnosis of patient disorders. Prioritizes and organizes patient flow to ensure best utilization of time. Is given general guidance and is expected to function with initiative and sound judgment to provide quality services. Demonstrate effective safety practices. Establishes and maintains a good rapport and professional relationship with fellow employees, other departments and Medical Staff. Demonstrate competence when performing other related or licensed functions.
1. Performs echocardiograms on patient in all settings including intensive care areas.
2. Responsible for care or equipment including cleaning of Trans-esophageal Echo probe.
3. Performs Echo on all age levels of patients, excluding TEEs .
4. May be required to perform stress tests and EKGs as needed.
5. Performs clerical functions that are related to procedures.
6. Obtain images of cardiac anatomy, and quantitative calculations for interpretation.
7. Communicates finding to the physicians interpreting the study through echo worksheet.
8. Actively seeks ways to control costs without compromising patient safety, qualify of care or the services delivered.
9. Demonstrates knowledge of the occurrence reporting system. Uses system to report potential patient safety issues.
10. Follows established guidelines for reporting a significant medical error or unanticipated outcome in the patient's care which results in patient harm.
11. Attends in-service presentations and completes all mandatory education requirements.
12. Uses Performance Improvement Plan to improve patient safety.
13. Regular, punctual and dependable attendance.
14. May have access to the POS room or designated areas to transport, assemble, and stock (inventory) of non scheduled drugs and biologicals to include but not limited to fluids, sterile water, normal saline, and irrigations.
15. Other duties as assigned.
A. Core Competencies :
1. Service: Strives to meet expectations/needs of customers; responds to concerns with sense of urgency; seeks win-win solutions for unreasonable patient/customer expectations
2. Quality/Ethics/Integrity: Seeks opportunities for improvement; prevents small problems from becoming large ones; pays attention to detail; follows instructions and protocol/procedures; adheres to company code of conduct; maintains integrity in all aspects of his/her work
3. Relationships: Builds effective working relationships; finds and provides information to clarify situations; expands on original ideas; contributes own ideas; places high priority on other team members' goals; gains team agreement to support ideas; clearly explains rationale behind ideas/goals; demonstrates sensitivity to differing cultural views and needs; meets attendance and punctuality requirements
4. Adaptability: Seeks to understand changes in work tasks/processes; actively seeks information about new tasks/processes; treats change and new tasks/processes as opportunities for learning and personal growth; speaks positively about changes to others; quickly modifies behavior to deal effectively with change
B. Job Specific : As defined in department specific competencies
EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED:
• Formal training in Echocardiography from a nationally recognized school required
• Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) required upon hire (Intersociety Accreditation Commission for Echo Labs) (ICA) All staff as of 03/31/2015 who are not currently registered will have one year commencing May 1st 2015 to obtain registry.
• BLS - AHA Healthcare Provider required upon hire
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
• Experience preferred
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of the cardiovascular system and EKG arrhythmias
• Flexibility with work situations and basic clerical skills
• Able to recognize abnormalities, correlate information obtained and convey the findings to physicians
• Proficient sonographic techniques in order to produce accurate and appropriate physiologic information