The EH&S Program Lead will report to the Head of Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) and act as a member of the EHS Operational Leadership Team. He/she will be responsible for partnering with staff from Los Angeles (LA), Van Nuys (VN), and other sites as needed, to promote a strong EHS culture, execute company safety and health policies, and ensure compliance to all applicable local and regional regulations. This position requires a high degree of flexibility and solid EHS program knowledge. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement comprehensive Core Safety Programs, in partnership and consultation with affected stakeholders
- Lead Safety Committees, develop charters and provide direction and guidance.
- Lead site Emergency Response Teams, develop charter and maintain operational readiness.
- Conduct Instructor-Led training as assigned.
- Support construction and maintenance activities from an EHS perspective.
- Maintain site metrics, support Occupational Health initiatives.
- Support Environmental compliance and sustainability programs/initiatives.
- Provide Business Unit EHS leadership and support.
- Lead Risk Assessment initiatives, serve as Subject Matter Expert.
- Conduct Ergonomic Assessments.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or experience
- Comprehensive working knowledge / understanding of EH&S matters, including related laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to design, develop, and implement EHS programs.
- Experience in a research laboratory, biotechnology or pharmaceutical environment is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills to plan, prioritize, and execute multiple projects.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively in a diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain clear, accurate and up-to-date records.
- Experience, ability, and willingness to respond to emergency situations, including working with site leadership to provide advice and direction on behalf of EHS.
- Ability to recognize hazards, drive continuous improvement, and promote practical alternatives for risk reduction and risk control measures.
- Strong interpersonal skills, essential in dealing with people at all levels and in a variety of functions including technical staff, site leaders, hourly personnel and be able to influence and motivate others to quickly achieve results.
- Ability to work independently and effectively across multiple organizational levels.
- BS in Occupational Health and Safety, or a related field. 5+ years in the EHS field, preferably in complex environments. Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) preferred.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull and carry up to 10 pounds routinely and and/or move up to 35 pounds (with assistance) occasionally.
- In general, the position requires a combination of sedentary work and walking around observing conditions in the facility.
- Must be able to work in controlled environments requiring special gowning. Will be required to follow gowning requirements and wear protective clothing over the head, face, hands, feet and body.
- No make-up, jewelry, contact lenses, nail polish or artificial fingernails may be worn in the Manufacturing environment.
- Will work in a cold, wet environment.
- Must be able to work multiple shifts, including weekends.
- Must be able to work overtime as required. (only for non-exempt positions)
- May be required to work in a confined area.
- Some Clean Room and cool/hot storage conditions.