The EHS Coordinator role is essentially one of leadership. This role is viewed as a feeder for future EHS roles inside the business. The person filling this role will accept the personal responsibility to uphold the plant's effort to create and maintain an injury free environment that trains, encourages and demands that each employee at all levels of the organization becomes increasingly involved in our pursuit of improved safety and Environmental stewardship. The over-arching principle that will be used to lead our plant is employee engagement. (Engagement is defined as an active and positive involvement in the processes of the plant.)
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understands the critical nature of personal leadership by example and uses his/her own personal level of high engagement to encourage others. Leaders at all levels reflect the attitudes and values of their leaders, and ultimately those of the Plant Leader. This will be objectively observed by the day-in and day-out demonstration of an active and positive involvement; the Advanced E&S Specialist will demonstrate a sincere desire to be a part of our team, our efforts, and our goals.
- Studies to develop knowledge of the company operations, specific Safety/Environmental issues, regulations and company practices.
- Applies prescribed hazard analysis methodologies to know at-risk conditions.
- Assist more experienced professionals in developing solutions for at-risk conditions.
- Maintains existing Safety/Environmental programs, systems & processes and delivers rudimentary plant floor training as required by these programs, systems and processes.
- Promotes the well-being and injury-free life for all employees.
- Understands that continual personal growth is necessary and is intentionally improving year after year.
- Understands and actively supports the fact that a primary root cause for most accidents is the individual's personal behavior.
- Understands and insures compliance with our Lock/Tag/Try system. Respect for the potential hazards within the manufacturing operation. Training and regular auditing of the process.
- Intermediate computer literacy - email, spreadsheets, Word, AspenTech and SAP.
- Understanding of basic mechanical concepts.
- Maintain the environmental compliance calendar and adhere to all reporting deadlines.
- Meet all corporate deadlines and program implementation.
- Can and is willing to make decisions.
- Ability to deliver oral and written communication: Daily huddles and between other Shift Operations Leaders.
- Responsible for managing safety & environmental inspections.
- Act as a guide and safety trainer for outside contractors.
- Provide safety training to new hires.
- Update and maintain LTT program.
- Update and maintain the MSDS program.
- Participates and leads in safety and housekeeping programs.
- Is proactive in leading the Production team by example in all aspects of Safety. Safety needs to become something he/she values. Safety cannot be viewed as something that needs to be done because someone else is giving the direction.
- Follows all environmental compliance polices & programs.
- Leads and participates in Lean Continuous Improvement project teams bringing them successful completion as assigned.
- Submits SAP Notifications for all safety work requests.
- Help implement changes needed per the Memphis Site's planned progression.
- Leads and maintains a good working relationship with all departments and teams.
- Any other task or duty that is assigned by their Leader.
- Availability to work on different shifts throughout the Month.
- Comply with safety regulations and maintain a clean and orderly work area.
- All other duties as assigned or needed.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Able to think under pressure, make quick decisions, and act as a decision maker.
- Ability to work well in a team or alone (self directed)
- Able to communicate in English
- Attention to detail is a critical skill for this role.
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
The employee must have:
Proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma required, and 5 years experience in the safety field or a college degree in environmental or safety
Some manufacturing experience is helpful
Must be able to learn the responsibilities of this position
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The employee should possess the ability to:
Work up to a 12 hour shift onsite as necessary
Able to climb and descend stairs for inspection purposes as necessary
Traverse uneven surface areas safely to perform investigations
Wear all appropriate PPE to perform job functions in a safe mannerAbout Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company's market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com .A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we'll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Founded in 1938, Owens Corning is a market-leading innovator of glass-fiber technology